Looking For Answers

mike1booth

im thinking of doing headers (lt's only), but i want more info on the headaches of the installs, which brands are the worst etc

obx hits (why where how tough to fix)

pacesetters need mid pipes fabbed (how much do i need to remove? can u still fit stock cats?)

dynas cost a BUTTLOAD

Edited by booth1 (see edit history)

I'll tell you what i tell everyone else...Unless you want to spend $$$ I was shown by Danny that all you need to do is get Pacesetters , ORY, and the exhaust off a 5.3L in my case I went corsa and I removed the cats and it bolted right up..no fabbing

Unless you have the $$$ to dump on Dynatechs which are the absolute premium, then Pacesetters are the way to go. Whichever you get, make sure to have them coated.

Some things to be aware of.......in your case since you are AWD, you will have to drop the front driveshaft. Do not use air tools during installation, I learned this the hard way. Start soaking all the manifold flange, manifold collector, and 02 sensor bungs with WD40 daily one week prior to installation.....this will make removing all the old hardware much easier. It is a good time to replace your spark plugs since you may have to remove them for installation, make sure to use anti-seize on them as well as the new header flange bolts. Make sure to have at least one set of extra hands around, along with extra tools including a couple universal joints. Also make sure to have a sawzall around as a last resort just in case any of the old manifold collector bolts get rounded off. It may be worthwhile for you to remove the inner fender liner(wheel well) for ease of installation. Make sure to use OEM GM 3-part metal shim gaskets too. All this can be done in a day including breaks.

I hope I didn't forget anything. :P

I am also on the brink of ordering long tubes, but still doing research myself. So far the OBX's are in the lead because I hear they fit nice and they come with mid pipes. Pacesetters price is awesome and come coated but I dont want to fab up mid pipes, plus clearance issues with AWD. Dynatech is out of the question due to the price, but would buy them if money wasnt an option. So its lookin OBX then getting everything coated. My biggest question is how well do the factory 02's fit in OBX's mid pipes?? They say possible extensions??

Can't go with ory massachusetts has california emissions . if you go with OBX you will have to cut out the fake cats and fab in some real cats to pass inspection.

i understand i cant have a CEL so i will have it tuned out

Wouldn't worry about it they just plug your truck into the computer. As long as you don't throw codes you will pass. And it helps to know shops. I used to go the Getty Gas station on main st. next to napa( my father worked at napa) those guys are awsome. I told my buddy back in the day to take his blazer there no problems. Now he brings his 51 willys there no problems and they let him drive it in.

I might change the resonators that came with my OBX headers and put some "cats" in

the pacesetter quicktrip headers on summit arent listed for 6.0 apps but should still fit right?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku

Holy crap, that's alot $$$ for pacesetters. I got mine for $325 from this guy on PT.net, and they were ceramic coated too. Try him before going to Summit. http://speed-eng.com/store/ Ask for Sean, he's one of the sponsers on PT.net. He gave me a great deal 3 years ago, they were on sale when I bought them. Or try one of the sponsers on here, or ebay. That just seems like alot of $$$ for Pacesetters.