New Muffler Inlet/outlet Decission

zachm89

I already know which muffler I am going to go with, now I'm running into problems on deciding which inlet/outlet combination to go with. Hooker offers their aerochamber muffler in a Dual 2 1/2" inlet, Single 3" outlet which would weld right up in place of the stock muffler. BUT the case on that particular muffler is 6" longer than a single 3" in/out. Im pretty much trying to figure out how much loudness I would lose by going with that 6 inches of extra case... Any thought or comments are greatly appreciated!

Im not sure if the exhaust was changed from the 03-04 tot he 06's but i have dual 2 1/2" pipes going into the stock muffler, not a single 3". Which is why i was considering the dual in/single out muffler. The only thing really concerning me is the noise level. I want it to be loud but if the difference in sound wont be that extreme id rather cut out the labor or putting in a y-pipe for a single inlet muffler.

think of it this way, the smaller the muffler, the louder it will be.......

Exhaust systems were the same for all years of the SSS. A single out muffler will not work for you......the factory SSS muffler has dual 2-1/2 exits that Y into a single 3-1/2 tailpipe.

Alright, thanks for straightening me out on that fireman. I hadnt thouroughly inspected the outlets of the stock muffler, go figured theyd be difficult and y it into a 3 1/2" instead of just going with a single pipe. This pretty much changes my decission making completely. Now im considering just going with 2 mufflers and y them back together to use the stock exit pipe.

very glad i posted this forum or i would have ordered a useless muffler.

well if you are debating a dual in single out and not sure of the sound it will make listen to this....

Its my current set-up and my truck. Dual 2.5" in single 3" out dumped

i think ive only watched that video 10-15 times wanting to know the setup of the exhaust other than just the muffler. had no idea is was someone on here but the truck sounds great. that is the 22" case muffler correct? im really wanting to keep the stock tail pipe on the truck so i might end up just going with 2 aerochamber mufflers to tie it back into the y-pipe after the muffler.

Shortening or lengthening the tailpipe is a handle for tuning the exhaust, it moves the drone up or down in the rpm range, shortening in your case moved the drone to an rpm that you don't cruise at, the same in my case, but I feal like it is half assed, and not exactly what I want.

Never thought of it like that with moving the drone up or down. It must of went to an extremely high RPM range because I don't have any drone anywhere, whether its at 500-6k rpms.

What model of Aero Chamber did you install that is Dual 2.5 in and 3inch Single out? From looking around it looks like they are only Single in and dual out.

What model of Aero Chamber did you install that is Dual 2.5 in and 3inch Single out? From looking around it looks like they are only Single in and dual out.

http://www.holley.com/21510HKR.asp

theres a link to the dual in/single out aerochamber. if you want to keep your stock exit tail pipe like i do its not the way to go, as ive been directed. thanks again fellas.

Edited by zachm89 (see edit history)

http://www.holley.com/21510HKR.asp

theres a link to the dual in/single out aerochamber. if you want to keep your stock exit tail pipe like i do its not the way to go, as ive been directed. thanks again fellas.

Great, thanks for the link. I just ordered one.... Going with the pro dump style....

Alright, so im going with 2 10 series flowmasters for the time being because i got them CHEAP, until i figure out what i want to do with the aerochamber. I'm thinking about eventually going with their single 3 1/2'' in/out and just using the stock y-pipe thats after the muffler and putting it before the muffler, which takes care of the 3 1/2'' inlet. Then getting the exhaust shop to run some 3 1/2'' pipe from the outlet to the stock exit pipe. I change my mind too much but i'm not going to stop toying with it till it sounds just right.