Cam Choice Guide And Question Post

zippy

WHAT IS UP!!!

Year of truck: 2004

Model: SSS BLACK THE FAST ONE!!

Trans: stock

Converter: stock

Gear: stock

Tires: Stock 20" but getting some 22 TIS 07 in a day or 2. tires gona b 305/40/22

List of current mods: VOLANT intake, DUAL exhaust just like chases.

Possible future mods: New built Trans, convertor, servo, 05 Electric Fans

160*stat, Shiftkit & billet servos, TVS 1900 in the future (like this summer)

Goals for truck: Want it to be around 11/12's truck but one that is reliable 2

Uses of the truck: DD and i use it like a truck :) and couple times to the track

what do u recommend ZIPPY? im waitin on u to get down 2 phx, az so u can do my tune lol

For a goal of 11's you're going to need to spin that 1900 pretty well. They handle rpm better than the previous model and should be able to handle a bit more camshaft. I would recomend the Thunder Racing 99-TR-BLOWR-CAM. It's spec's are 214/230 .601/.579 on a 117LSA. It will be a bit choppy at an idle, but with that LSA should not have a problem with drivability. I recomend a Patroit Gold dual spring with this cam to go with boost. I'd recomend a 2600 to 2800 stall to match it.

Year of truck:2003

Model:Silverado SS

Trans:FLT stage 5 premium

Converter:PI triple disc 9.5 stall between 2800 and 3000

Gear:4.10

Tires:305/40/22

List of current mods:Ballenger Headers tri-Y, high flow CATs, Spin tech 2.5 true doul exhaust, Volant CAI with tube, Denso Iridium Plugs, 05 efans, tune from jason

Possible future mods:supercharger, and egine mods not sure yet

Goals for truck:KLots of horse power and tq would love a 11 second truck but something i can drive every day if i want to

Uses of the truck:right now my dd

Wow, that is quite a range to go by. Are you looking more for a cam with your current mods? What type of Supercharger? Engine mods like more cubes, heads, stuff???

hey Zippy,

My goal was to build up the suspension check, improve the brakes check, build a solid trany check, and i am in the process of upgrading the rear diff,

so now I am so lost what to do with the truck

maggie if i go this root i would need heads, cam, springs .... the list goes on I would think and then i still have a motor with 90 thousand miles on it and maybe get mid 500 hp out of it

408 do i tare it apart and stroke it

427 Ls7 aluminum block not great for adding compresion but it is lighter and with can easily put out 570 hp with 575 tq

and the worst part about the motor is you cant just do one thing at a time when building it you really need to do it all at once

So i dont know what to do...what would you do zippy

For a goal of 11's you're going to need to spin that 1900 pretty well. They handle rpm better than the previous model and should be able to handle a bit more camshaft. I would recomend the Thunder Racing 99-TR-BLOWR-CAM. It's spec's are 214/230 .601/.579 on a 117LSA. It will be a bit choppy at an idle, but with that LSA should not have a problem with drivability. I recomend a Patroit Gold dual spring with this cam to go with boost. I'd recomend a 2600 to 2800 stall to match it.

kool thanks zippy :) about the 11's i was just shooting for it dont think ill make it lol id happy with 12's.... would that cam work for that?? thx again!!

hey Zippy,

My goal was to build up the suspension check, improve the brakes check, build a solid trany check, and i am in the process of upgrading the rear diff,

so now I am so lost what to do with the truck

maggie if i go this root i would need heads, cam, springs .... the list goes on I would think and then i still have a motor with 90 thousand miles on it and maybe get mid 500 hp out of it

408 do i tare it apart and stroke it

427 Ls7 aluminum block not great for adding compresion but it is lighter and with can easily put out 570 hp with 575 tq

and the worst part about the motor is you cant just do one thing at a time when building it you really need to do it all at once

So i dont know what to do...what would you do zippy

I'd build a 408 for it with around 10:1 compression. At that you can still run a blower later if you want and it will make good power even without a blower.

kool thanks zippy :) about the 11's i was just shooting for it dont think ill make it lol id happy with 12's.... would that cam work for that?? thx again!!

Yes, that cam would be fine in the 12's.

My recomendation would be the Trick Flow TFS-30602001 cam. It's spec's are 216/220 .560/.560 on a 114LSA. The duration is mild enough to have a slight lope and yet will work with a stock torque converter. I would recomend a 2600 converter, but in a 2wd that might just make for a tire burner. That cam will also work well with a blower and a few guys on here are using that cam with a blower right now. Peak hp should be around 5600 to 5800 with a shift point of around 6200rpm. This cam is also good for a daily driver in that it isn't huge on lift which will help with valve guide, seat, and spring life. I would recomend using an LS6 spring with this cam.

Thanks Zippy! :cheers:

When you talk about spring life are you talking about having to replace them again in the future? If so how long would they last?

Year of truck:2003

Model:Sierra Denali

Trans:4L65E

Converter:Stock

Gear:4.10

Tires:265/75/17

List of current mods:CAI,160*T-stat,BBk 80mmtb,msd 8.5 wires,E3 plugs,flowmasters

Possible future mods:LT headers, tb or other stall, milled p&p 317 heads, roller rockers, ud pullies,

Goals for truck: good street manners but would like to be able to run in th 12's or 13's, lopey idle and hold its own with most cars.

Uses: DD never towed anything, heavyiest thing i haul is a four wheeler

Help me out Zippy!

Year of truck: 2003

Model: SS

Trans: 4L65E, shift kit, servos

Converter: 3200

Gear: Stock

Tires: 305/40 22 for now

List of current mods: P&P Throttle body, long tubes, no cats, speed density tuned, e fan, plug wires, three inch exhaust dual Magnaflow racing muffs dumped under the cab.

Possible future mods: Cam, heads, pistons, TB, car intake, electric water pump

Goals for truck: Consistent low 13's, consistency for bracket racing.

Uses of the truck: Bracket racing only, towed to the track. No street use.

I AM NEW TO THIS SITE I HAVE 6.0 THAT IS GETTING A STROCKER KIT

408 WITH 8.6 CR

HEADS PORTED AND POLISHED VALVES INTAKE 2.04/EXHAUST 1.6

SHORTY HEADERS

112 MAGNA CHARGER WILL UP GRADE TO 122MP SOON

1.8 CRANE ROLLER ROCKERS

TRANY IS FULLY BUILT

STALL CONVER 2500 OR TRAILBLAZER CONVERTER

CURRENT CAM IS FROM CRANE CAMS 210/218-.533/.533-112

WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMEND IN THE CAM DEPARTMENT STAY WITH WHAT I HAVE OR GO BIGGER?

STOCK RIMS

ALSO PLAN TO RUN ABOUT A 100 SHOT OF NOS

STILL IN THE BUILDING PROCESS GIVE ME A SHOUT

/

Finally getting to a bit of this stuff. Spent most of my day at work today. Finally made it home after 8pm. Back at it tomorrow. The dyno and I are becoming daily friends.

Year of truck: 2006

Model: vortec max

Trans: built tranny

Gear: 3:73

Tires: 22's with 305:40:R22

List of current mods: k&n 77 series intake, granatelli wires, coolant bypass, ngk plugs, thunder racing tune, lt's, and full exhaust

Possible future mods: good set of heads and possibly nitrous

Goals for truck: Good street power with a good choppy idle

Uses of the truck DD that is never used to tow or haul with good power hoping to get into low 12's eventually

Still working on it, but any questions feel free to post. It's going to take me a week or so to get it where I want it and then I'll just have to update here and there.

are the new thumpr cams made by copm any good for a 6.0 engine

Year of truck: 2006

Model: vortec max

Trans: built tranny

Gear: 3:73

Tires: 22's with 305:40:R22

List of current mods: k&n 77 series intake, granatelli wires, coolant bypass, ngk plugs, thunder racing tune, lt's, and full exhaust

Possible future mods: good set of heads and possibly nitrous

Goals for truck: Good street power with a good choppy idle

Uses of the truck DD that is never used to tow or haul with good power hoping to get into low 12's eventually

My recomendations for you are a Comp Cams XER273HR or the Thunder Racing 99-TR224/227-114. Either would be a great cam for what you are looking for although you may want to look into a 4.10 gear down the road due to the tall tire height that you run. With your converter either of those cams will pull well from off idle to 6700 or so. Both will also give you a choppy enough idle that is easily noticable. Both will also work well with nitrous. The specs are

XER273HR...224/230 .581/.591 114LSA

99-TR224/227-114...224/227 .563/.569 114 LSA