Lets See If You Can Figure It Out

catdaddy300

well so what had happened was i was at the stealership to day for 2 and 1/2 hours trying to see whats wrong with my steering wheel buttons...... what they do is when i like press the volume button on the steering wheel and onstar comes on and if i press like seek or source i get the phone......... now the gm guy could figure out what was wrong not that they are really all that tech savy but this was over my head and then he caled like there technical hotline or what ever and said they had never even heard of this problem.......so i though they were like crosswired or something but i was wrong and he thought it was like the coil in the steering wheel and he was wrong and the techline said it was the radio but they were wrong any ideas???????

nope like this when i got it................. the only real problem i had was like one day i like touched a button and it like called onstar 911 or something i was talking to someone and they like hung up or something and then like the onstar phone would not turn off for like a half day and since then i just dont press the buttons( kinda funny when it happend) but besides that nada and havent played with anything either

Did you get the truck new or used? Do you know if it has ever had an aftermarket head unit in it?

I am NOT by any means an electrical expert, nor am I a stereo expert but here is my train of thought. I know that when you put an aftermarket head unit in these trucks there are quite a few adapters needed in order to retain your factory steering wheel controls and your door chimes, one fore Bose, etc etc. I know that sometimes when putting in the aftermarket units you can reprogram what each button does. My thought is that maybe if you bought the truck used, that someone had an aftermarket hu in it and reprogrammed the buttons, or when switching back to a factory unit the programming of the buttons got messed up.

Just a thought. Like I said I am no expert so if this sounds completely out of the question please don't tear me apart too bad guys. :chevy:

Rob

yeah i dont think there was another stereo in there truck but you never know and i dont think he reprogramed them....... but there is really no reason i could see it being the radio bc the radio stuff kinda does what its saposed to do its the onstar and the phone that comeon when they want to but if you think it the radio explain..... and i guess how would i reprogram the buttons??? if possible

that's crazy strange. My thought would be crossed wire, harness going bad or maybe even the computer going bad(doubt it, but you never know). Do you actually use/pay for the onstar? If not I think there is a fuse you can remove to disable it. I did this to mine since I didn't upgrade it and stopped using it. I got a thing from GM saying it could drain your battery if it wasn't properly turned off. also I would check the buttons on the steering wheel. You didn't spill any fluid on them did you?

its a single wire going down the column for all of these buttons. an off the wall guess is that there is a voltage problem at the column. they work via data (variable voltage) and my guess is the voltage from the column is bad.

have them check chassis grounds at the column and make sure its within spec

its a single wire going down the column for all of these buttons. an off the wall guess is that there is a voltage problem at the column. they work via data (variable voltage) and my guess is the voltage from the column is bad.

thats what is funny i dont even pay for onstar and as for the voltage they got the mulimeter on it and tested the voltage and it was in specs and the buttons are good first thing i checked........ as for one wire down the steering wheel colum is it possible for them of gotten cross wired together becasue 4 different buttons doing 8 different things all spliced into one wire sounds like could be the problem or no????

thats what is funny i dont even pay for onstar and as for the voltage they got the mulimeter on it and tested the voltage and it was in specs and the buttons are good first thing i checked........ as for one wire down the steering wheel colum is it possible for them of gotten cross wired together becasue 4 different buttons doing 8 different things all spliced into one wire sounds like could be the problem or no????

they arent "spliced" at all. they are multiplexed. car manufacturers have been doing it for years.

since its a single wire, wouldn't every button have a resistor to produce a unique voltage? if so then maybe a resistor is shot and its sending the wrong buttons voltage reading. also diodes (electrical check valves), are there any diodes that go to the one wire? if a diode is out then would back fed voltage do anything?

Edited by WODY™ (see edit history)

since its a single wire, wouldn't every button have a resistor to produce a unique voltage? if so then maybe a resistor is shot and its sending the wrong buttons voltage reading. also diodes (electrical check valves), are there any diodes that go to the one wire? if a diode is out then would back fed voltage do anything?

the resistance, I believe is in the button itself. now i am going from my side of the business here, and all i do is intergrate with them. I dont know factory languages. i do agree with what you are getting at tho Wody. thats what sucks about todays dealerships, well most of them anyway. if they cant plug in a TECHII and find a code, the techs dont have a clue.

i know from experience that when the IPC and/or radio are replaced, and not programmed correctly it will cause odd/unexplainable problems like this. its possible that it happened to the previous owner, and lucky you, you get to deal with it. i know most of you guys hate or don't trust the ''stealership", however, usually they are our last hope when it comes to stuff like this. if it was my truck, first thing i would do is reprogram the radio and cluster.