Breaking News: "v" Series And "ss" Series Engineer

56chevywagon

Thought I would let everyone know...

Breaking News: "V" Series and "SS" Series Engineering Division Disbanded

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: Automotive News special email alert

Jamie LaReau - Automotive News - February 18, 2009 - 5:05 pm ET

DETROIT -- General Motors, focusing on mainstream products in a battle to survive, has scrapped a unit that produced high-performance vehicles.

GM today disbanded High Performance Vehicle Operations, which is based at the company's suburban Detroit technical center, and redeployed its engineers, said spokesman Vince Muniga.

"All high-performance projects are on indefinite hold," Muniga said. "The engineers are moving into different areas of the organization, and they will work on Cadillacs, Buicks, Chevrolets and Pontiacs."

The unit created low-volume vehicles for GM's divisions designed to appeal to enthusiasts and bolster the company's image. Products included V-series Cadillacs and the Chevrolet Cobalt SS, HHR SS and a V-8 version of the Colorado.

Muniga said there are no plans for high-performance versions of upcoming cars.

The move is in the spirit of GM's viability plan delivered to the U.S. Treasury Department on Tuesday. In the plan, GM said its future-product focus is on fuel- efficient cars and crossovers. It also pledged to increase its current offering of six hybrids to 14 by 2012 and to 26 by 2014. GM also boosted its request for federal aid by as much as $16.6 billion.

The High Performance Vehicle Operations unit could be reinstated once GM regains its financial health, GM's Muniga said.

"These guys are pretty good at what they do," Muniga said, "They are moving into different areas to work on core products."

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f12/bre...isbanded-75664/

DAMNNNNNN no more ss's?

I saw that coming months ago, the overall company sales just couldn't support that kind of PR effort. But now, with the government in control, you will see the company's focus be put squarely on whatever it takes to turn a quick buck so high volume will be the order of the day. I hope that they got all the Camaro SS or Z28 production work already done before disbanding these engineers. Also makes you wonder what the future is for Corvette. If history repeats itself, if could be 15-20 years before we see another re-emergence of performance from GM. Sad sad day. :( I will say you have to hand it to Ford, in that they instinctively knew the worst thing that could happen to them or any company is to let the government get involved in its operations. I do think the 2000-2006 performance vehicles will be regarded in the future like the 60's muscle cars we love today.

Mr. P.

I saw that coming months ago, the overall company sales just couldn't support that kind of PR effort. But now, with the government in control, you will see the company's focus be put squarely on whatever it takes to turn a quick buck so high volume will be the order of the day. I hope that they got all the Camaro SS or Z28 production work already done before disbanding these engineers. Also makes you wonder what the future is for Corvette. If history repeats itself, if could be 15-20 years before we see another re-emergence of performance from GM. Sad sad day. :( I will say you have to hand it to Ford, in that they instinctively knew the worst thing that could happen to them or any company is to let the government get involved in its operations. I do think the 2000-2006 performance vehicles will be regarded in the future like the 60's muscle cars we love today.

Mr. P.

:withstupid: The wiritings been on the wall for some time. As much as we love the hipo car/trucks it's not the bread and butter of any car company. I'm sure they will come back when they are back on their feet.

they will be back when things get better. Gas and oil prices have effectivley killed the world economy. people are driving less and spending less because of $4.00 a gallon gas and it's had a domino effect on everything else. The sad part is that it could take years to get things back to normal. Banks are scared to lend money & people are affraid to spend money so the amount of money we put into the economy is barely enough to substain the jobs we have. Banks & the goverment are pretty much going to have to give away houses to get things started again. Foreclosing on all these homes and putting people out into the streets doesn't help the banks one bit. It cost them more money so they are finally starting to help home owners out. Now is the time to get into the real estate market. You can buy houses for a lot less and rent them out for about the same as before. If you've got the credit and a little bit of cash for a down pament, you can get pretty much any rate you want. Wish I would have waited a little longer to buy my house. I should have bought a rental unit first. Oh well, live and learn.

Ive been wondering if this was gonna happen for months, now that it finally has Im not ashamed to say that the Chevrolet brand is garbage now. At least we have one of the last good SS branded vehicles made. But either way Im probably gonna get rid of mine. Ive had a grudge with GM ever since they got me to quit school cause they offered me a job, then laid me off a year later. GM can suck a big one