How Much Spark Is On The Table

ss454327

About how much spark advance is tolerable on a basicly stock SS. How much can you gain by advancing it with a lower temp t-stat and headers? What RPM range yeilds the best gain while keeping it safe. What I mean by that is can I advance it all through the RPM range for gains or would it be better to advance it down low and level it off up high.

HP Tuners is the software and all I run is 93. I have access to a wideband and I'll be welding in a bung just for AFR when I get my headers on.

once you get you headerss on be sure to weld the bung on the driverside collector. after you tune your VE table, you should be able to get around 25* of timing, im currently at 28/29* at WOT

once you get you headerss on be sure to weld the bung on the driverside collector. after you tune your VE table, you should be able to get around 25* of timing, im currently at 28/29* at WOT

Is the most gain to be had at WOT? What's the stock timing at on these trucks? Also what are your mods to be running that much spark?

Edited by ss454327 (see edit history)

On an NA truck, 25-27* is normal with a custom tune.....I have seen anywhere from from 25-30* at WOT. I think 16-18* is stock?

I was thinking it was around 16* but I'm not looking at the info right now (I'm at work). I guess I should have known there was 10* of spark in these as vettes come stock with around 22* or so in them and there is a lot left in them as well.

Your pcm takes into account alot of variable to give you your final spark, so there is no set value on what these trucks have. Not only that but, the pcm also uses timing to control idle and idle flairs, so you will see timing bounce anywhere from 16 to 30 degrees. Even when in WOT timing is still affected by other variables such as ECT and IAT.... keep that in mind and happy tunning.

If you want to know what timing these truck are running look at all of the timing table offered by HPTuners/EFILive and see how they work. IT IS NOT JUST ONE SET VALUE