The Deadening Post Dynamat Hush Mat Roadkill Etc...

fast4popper

Ok, so it seems as though quite often someone is asking what is needed to deaden their trucks. I so happen to have a extended cab Silverado in the shop torn apart right now. I did some measuring and here is what i came up with...

Floor Pan 35 square feet (back wall to firewall)

Roof 25 square feet (door to door)

rear doors INNER skin 4 square feet (each door)

rear doors OUTER skins 4 square feet (each door)

Front Doors INNER skins 6 square feet (each door)

Front Doors OUTER skins 6 square feet (each door)

back wall of cabin 10 square feet (door to door, floor to window)

this is ONE layer of matt covering the entire surface. now if you want more that is your perogative, i just did this so that you all have a general idea of what is needed. NOW I carry Stinger Roadkill, I have used Hush Matt and it seems really thin compared to Stinger. I have used Dynamat and it seems to be the same as Stinger. I have also used Home Ice Gaurd for roofing, it stinks, doesnt stick and is SUPER thin (customer brought it in). everyone has their own ideas on what to use, use what you want. these are just measurements for you to use a guidlines. do with them what you will.

also on a side note, I would FOR SURE deaden the outter skins of your doors. its a dramatic difference.

hope it helps.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great info. What areas pose the best results without having to do the whole truck?

Doors, back cabin wall, roof, in that order. and before you do the inner skins of your doors, do the outter. not only for noise, but to help your speakers have a more rigid cavity to work in. that just my 2 cents tho. and who am i anyway? :jester:

Doors, back cabin wall, roof, in that order. and before you do the inner skins of your doors, do the outter. not only for noise, but to help your speakers have a more rigid cavity to work in. that just my 2 cents tho. and who am i anyway? :jester:

Awesome, thanks.

that is good info. I plan on doing an audio upgrade soon.

Thanks for the info Chris. I saw Alan's post earlier and I've been wondering the same thing. As well as help the audio performance, how is it at deadening exhaust drone?

Keith it will quite it down :cheers:

weigh the stuff b4 you put it in :)

why? not bein a smart ass, just askin? yes its heavy, thats why its called deadening. it lowers the resinant frequency of what its adheared too, via weight. I can tell you this, 9 sheets, the amount in a Stinger BULK pack (36 square feet) weighs 23 pounds. so for 3 bulk packs, enough to easily do a whole cabin of our trucks, it would add under 70 pounds. WELL worth it in my books. but hey, once again, who the heck am I?? :jester:

as for lowering the drone of exhaust, yes it will. IN all honesty Deadening isnt to stop rattles, while it does do that, it is more used to lower the resinant frequency of the cabin so that you have a lower noise floor in your vehicle. it makes it more comfortable, and sound better, weather it be the audio system you are listening to, or the person in the cabin with you.

as for lowering the drone of exhaust, yes it will. IN all honesty Deadening isnt to stop rattles, while it does do that, it is more used to lower the resinant frequency of the cabin so that you have a lower noise floor in your vehicle. it makes it more comfortable, and sound better, weather it be the audio system you are listening to, or the person in the cabin with you.

what if you wanna deaden the sound coming from the passenger seat???? :uhoh: