Trailer Wiring

Got A SS

Ok thanks to all the help on here I got my hitch figured out. What do I need to buy to wire for a trailer? I understand the SS is already wired for a trailer brake so all I need is the harness? I see a bunch of plugs at the auto parts store for trailers, where do they plug in? Lots of ??'s but I have never messed with this stuff before.

I'm not sure what you are asking, can you be a little more specific on what type of trailer harness you are looking to wire up? If you are going to haul trailers over 1000# you should definately hook up the 7-way round camper-style plug. If you are only hauling trailers without electric brakes, you could get away with a 4-way connector that gives you turn signals, brake lights, and marker lights. But, what happens when you decide you want to haul a travel trailer for a friend? Definately go with the 7-way...

When I drove from PA to TX, they sold a 7 wire (our stock plug) to 4 wire (most of U-haul trailer type) plugs. It was like $5, so if you're having a hard time finding a 7 wire plug, or it's too expensive, you can get the converter plug and do it up that way.

Just in case that was in the unknown column...

Sorry I haven't gotten back to this sooner, I believe these trucks without the hitches installed at the factory have the wire harness tucked up inside the rear of the frame somewhere. It has a connector on it that you buy the plug from a gm dealer and plug into it. and wire it into the 7 pin camper style plug. I may be wrong, send Zippy a PM and ask him for the part #'s to take to the dealer.

Archived