Over Whelmed By Detailing Options

Ok guys I know that there are a ton of topics out there about detailing, waxing, buffing, etc. I have been looking around and I have to say the amount of knowledge out there is a little over whelming. I am by no means a body guy. The most that I have ever really done is either hand wax my cars (with something like carnuba wax or the tech wax). Sometimes I have waxed with a cheap Walmart "buffer/polisher" and some microfiber pads. With the nice weather coming up I want to clean the truck up. I have been looking around and hear people talking about clay bars, and wool pads, buffers, foam pads, glazes, types of waxes, and tons and tons of options. I have no clue about any of this, but would like to learn what works and what doesnt as well as what is used for what.

My truck has some small scratches, and of course swirl marks, and I have heard that they can probably come out.

Sorry for a long post, but I was hoping that some of the more experienced guys would chime in and give the explanation of some of this as well as any thoughts and suggestions. A how-to so to speak on all of this.

Thanks in advance everyone. And I am sorry if this is in the wrong section. Not sure what it fell under.

Rob

well I am by no means a body guy either but I don't use buffers or any pc polishers. My favorite way to get my truck looking great would be to first:

1. Clean the truck obviously

2. Clay bar the entire truck(Time consuming but worthy process. I prefer the blue magic clay bar available at autozone)

3. (Optional) You can get a paint cleaner which will help remove oxidation and it preps it for the polish and wax to follow

4. Polish the paint. I just use megiuars for all this stuff besides the claybar. This process is #2 on meguiars polish system and its done by hand with just you applying the polish with a applicator pad and then removing it.

5. Wax it. I like megiuars nxt gen wax 2.0 and after all of this your truck should look pretty good. This is all ive done to my blue ss and its has a very nice shine and its a daily driver.

This process will take probably most of the day if done right but your truck will thank you for it. If going with a pc polisher or something like that I'm sure someone will be able to help you out but this is the way I like to do it cuz there is no chance of you burning your paint and the results come out very good imo.

Go to www.autopia.org

-read, read, and do some more reading.

......Lots of great info on that site........ :cheers: ..........I use a UDM, with Zaino products. Time to reorder some stuff, but I think I'm gonna try the "PoorBoys" line of products. I hear they are quite easy to work with, and have great results.......

well what i do is this:

hand wash

wipe drie with microfiber towels

apply turtle wax ice wax

apply ice polisng liquid

clean windows

aply armorall to all plastic parts

proceed to clean rims

use mothers polish

drees tires with ice dreesing.

that takes me about 3 hours and alot of elbow grease.

clay bars are good couse they take all the crap that washing wont, but you gotta have a lot off time too spare.

i havent washd my truck in 2 months and looks glossy, i wipe it down everyday and apply quick detailer about four times a week, but i gotta admit im gonna have to wash it again

I've been using www.griotsgarage.com for the last year and I really like it, easy to use. If you order the Best of show Machine kit, it comes with a how to DVD and Handbook. I got tired of hand waxing my cars. The power Random Orbital will not burn your paint at anytime.

Clay

Go on LS1tech and search for Tropi-Care products. Look around on Steve @ Tropi-Care's website and look for what suits ur needs. Call or email him and he will set u up with what you need to make ur paint look outstanding. Iv used his products with the Porter Cable 7424 buffer/polisher with the oppropriate pads and its outstanding. Two thumbs up for Steves products. Turtle Wax and off the shelf products at auto parts stores are ok if your wanting average results, but if your wanting to repair minor blemishes in your paint such was what you say you have....this will do it.

PM me if you have questions on my process with those products.....

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

Thanks guys for all the great links and info. Looks like I have a lot of research and reading to do figure out which way I want to go. So far the only thing I have been able to do is some reading on autopia.net. Silv that link is amazing! Thank you! I plan on checking out all of these sites before I make up my mind. Thanks again guys for all your help. If anyone has any other tips feel free to throw them at me.

Rob

I've been using www.griotsgarage.com for the last year and I really like it, easy to use. If you order the Best of show Machine kit, it comes with a how to DVD and Handbook. I got tired of hand waxing my cars. The power Random Orbital will not burn your paint at anytime.

Clay

:withstupid: Griot's garage has a great line of products, I use them on my SS also....definitely worth looking into....

Check and see if any of your local detail shops are having any "Detailing Clinic's" and see if you can attend one. All I've ever done is washed and waxed my vehicles, never a "proper" detail, nor do I know how to do a "proper" detail so I contacted Griot's Garage and have set up a "Tech Session" with them for our local SSS'ers & Friends to learn.