Airbrushing In My Spare Time

1 Fast SS

Ok, just that you all know it isn't easy to do these and takes about 1 1/2 weeks to complete for each one or set. I will tell you the process, and why it costs this way, and or if you all still want them done. Depending on what you want painted, I still have to spend many hours on cleaning and prepping them, to get all the oils off. I spent a whole day just on mine. If you closely on them, they have a texture to them. The paint will NOT adhere to this for some reason. So, I had to sand most of that down to get a smooth finish. What a bitch! Then I have spray an epoxy primer on them, so the paint has something to grab onto, then the black base coat goes over top of that. I'll then color sand the black base to scuff it up. Spray what ever flames or picture you guys want (depending on what you want painted). True fire is a 4 to 5 layer process, thats a few days to do (waiting for paint to dry). Then I'll inter coat clear, wait, then color sand again. Spray the final coat, wait, than clear everything. Alot of labor goes into these, especially when doing a car or truck. So long story short, the whole set for flames would be ( not encluding shipping) $225: the top engine cover alone would be $125.00. So now you guys know the process. Please give me a PM of what you want painted, colors, and how many. Then I'll have a better idea.

Terry

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmmmm queston i painted my eng covers with some spray cans would u be able to airbrush my covers even though i have spray canned them??? cuz i didnt do a real good job lol

Not sure. You and DiggerDan did the same thing. They may have to be stripped first or the paint might lift when I clear it. The last thing I would want to do, is do all that work and try and clear it and have it lift. Lifting means, the paint will crickle when the clear coat hits it, and ruin all that pretty work. There is nothing you can do to save it when it lifts. See, paint in a can really blows, it doesn't have enough hardener in it, but its what alot of people use because they don't have the knowledge to paint or don't have the tools. I would be safe and strip it first. It's pretty easy. They make some water base stripper that works like a charm, and you can get a can cheap at Walmart. I'm not sure if it's safe for the plastic cover though. It might melt the plastic. Test an area first on the underside of it. If you get some Acetone with a rag and strip it, it might be the way to go, but it will be messy.

Terry

Not sure. You and DiggerDan did the same thing. They may have to be stripped first or the paint might lift when I clear it. The last thing I would want to do, is do all that work and try and clear it and have it lift. Lifting means, the paint will crickle when the clear coat hits it, and ruin all that pretty work. There is nothing you can do to save it when it lifts. See, paint in a can really blows, it doesn't have enough hardener in it, but its what alot of people use because they don't have the knowledge to paint or don't have the tools. I would be safe and strip it first. It's pretty easy. They make some water base stripper that works like a charm, and you can get a can cheap at Walmart. I'm not sure if it's safe for the plastic cover though. It might melt the plastic. Test an area first on the underside of it. If you get some Acetone with a rag and strip it, it might be the way to go, but it will be messy.

Terry

Terry

PM sent I included a pic. Thanks Man!

$225.00 for all 3 covers is a great price. Your work looks fantastic. I checked last spring with a local shop that does airbrushing and they said around $300.00 for all 3. Just let me know where and when to send them, I'm in.

$225.00 for all 3 covers is a great price. Your work looks fantastic. I checked last spring with a local shop that does airbrushing and they said around $300.00 for all 3. Just let me know where and when to send them, I'm in.

That price is about right, for a shop. Sometimes even higher. Because they have an overhead, and rent to pay. I did a car long ago for $3000 to do ghost flames, now its anywhere from about $6000-$8000 for a complete job. Me, I just love doing it. Here's some more pics of flames to chose from. I can do all the flames, but sometimes people have their different tastes.

Flame #1

FrontFender-1.jpg

Flame #2

yellow-fire-2_b.jpg

Flame #3

mikenew010.jpg

Flame #4

Shaunstank-1.jpg

Flame # 5

BillsHarleytank-1.jpg

Or flame #6 "Old school flames"

fridge005.jpg

Works for me. I can do other things too. I use to Kustom paint cars along time ago, its just the body work that hate doing. The painting is fun. Especially when you see nice colors lay down, pearls, candies, and metallics.