Exhaust Q

Dave_SS

Hi guys! New guy here...

I've left my truck stock for longer than I can stand. I'm planning a custom tune, CAI, and exhaust to start.

About the exhaust, my main question is about mufflers. I don't want my truck to be loud. A little louder than stock is ok, like a low rumble, but no loud stuff for now. What would be the best choice to gain the most low-end power and still keep it fairly quiet? My last truck had Flowmaster 40's and was too loud. Besides, eventually I'll be installing a high-end stereo and I want to hear it. My target power band is 0-60mph.

Also, instead of buying a cat-back system, I can have a small-town guy custom install any system I'd like. He's pretty dang cheap and does good work. Any recommendations for pipe-sizes, single or dual, etc.? In other words, what would have him do with your exhaust? Keep in mind I cannot remove the catalytic converter! They have roadside emissions checkpoints here that will happily send you a ticket in the mail if you don't pass...

Thanks in advance, and I'm happy to meet you all!

welcome to the site :cheers:

Since you want better sound but still want it to be tame, I recommend staying with 2.5" pipe and going with a 22" case Magnaflow muffler.

:withstupid: Thats what I did, 22" magnaflow dumped just before the axle,,,Sounded more like a performance car exhaust to me,,I loved it, I recentley added Long tube Headers and did away with my cats and it's still not as loud as most trucks you hear,, Go with the 2.5" Dual in /Dual out with the internal X-pipe you'll have just the sound your looking for. Slightly louder than stock but free flowing.

I searched around on Ebay till I found one for like $130,,,,Jegs and Summit price was like $230

Hi guys! New guy here...

I've left my truck stock for longer than I can stand. I'm planning a custom tune, CAI, and exhaust to start.

About the exhaust, my main question is about mufflers. I don't want my truck to be loud. A little louder than stock is ok, like a low rumble, but no loud stuff for now. What would be the best choice to gain the most low-end power and still keep it fairly quiet? My last truck had Flowmaster 40's and was too loud. Besides, eventually I'll be installing a high-end stereo and I want to hear it. My target power band is 0-60mph.

Also, instead of buying a cat-back system, I can have a small-town guy custom install any system I'd like. He's pretty dang cheap and does good work. Any recommendations for pipe-sizes, single or dual, etc.? In other words, what would have him do with your exhaust? Keep in mind I cannot remove the catalytic converter! They have roadside emissions checkpoints here that will happily send you a ticket in the mail if you don't pass...

Thanks in advance, and I'm happy to meet you all!

Don't worry about those pesky things. I live in ft worth too. Have not had a problem running no cats yet, just get some resonators. Also just curious, who does your exhaust around here.

Thanks for the advice! Anyone have a part number?

dual2.5'' in & out,,, 22" polished stainless with internal X-pipe Magnaflow #14568

or you can save a little money & get the Satin stainless, Magnaflow#12568,,Not a flashy but it's under the truck so who cares?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MagnaFlow-M...sQ5fAccessories

Welcome to the site. I also have this setup, and I am happy with it. I have longtubes and resonators and its pretty quiet at cruising speed, but when you lay into it youll know it. Magnaflow FTW!!