Led Problems

Stitches040

Hey all ...

As a lot of us guys have been discussing lately, I have started to replace all my interior lights with LED Bulbs. I just love the look

Yesterday, I put in a 6 SMD Festoon bulb into the Dome light, with no problem. I then replaced the Left Map light with a small LED Bulb. No problem. I then Replaced the right Map Light bulb. It was then I noticed a strong burning smell. I also noticed that the Dome/Map lights were no longer working.

I figured that somehow the bulb blew, and tripped/blew a fuse. Well, that would have been easy. I could not find a blown fuse to save my life. I checked the fuse box in the cab and under the hood. I have since found out, with the help of Ben - Gmperformanceguy, that the Dome/Map lights have no fuse, but are directly tied into the BCM. That it gains it's power directly from that. That the BCM also controls that Dimming option.

I have since tested the bulb that I believed "Burnt" up, and it works fine. So I'm puzzled beyond comprehension. I know that LED's draw less power. So why does/would it blow?? Since the draw was less, did it try to overcompensate?

So any extra insight as to what might have happened, to help us understand would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance ...

So, tomorrow (03/25/2009) my truck is going in, under the knife at the Dealership. (Major Guard Warranty .. let them figure it out)

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Edited by Stitches040 (see edit history)

Guys, I haven't been following the LED threads in great detail so forgive me on that one. These bulbs you are installing, do they have internal resistors built in or are they just LED's? If they are strait LED's, there should be some type of a resistor wired in-line otherwise the LED's will burn out from seeing too much current.

Here is a thread I posted a while back that may apply :dunno:

Resistors and LED thread

yes depending on the brand, some need resistors. I am using Putco as well and while they are pricey, they work great, look great and seem of good quality. it'll be interesting to hear the outcome of this one.

do you know if the ones you use have resistors? I guess we need to get a list together of acceptable LEDs to use so others don't run into the same problems shaun is.

Well, to add my experience... LED's can get very picky with custom installs. Yes, they do draw less power, but your application provides a consistent power supply, as well as they are also a "dimmer" type, which LED's are VERY BAD being used that way, cause the dimmer works by reducing the total amount of power to the bulb causing it to get dimmer/weaker. The fact LED's require a significantly less power, it usually requires a resistor to reduce the power it's given, preventing it from being over powered / surged on. Plus, the power inside the wiring is also has no where to go when the LED won't take it... causing stress to the wire.

You also get what you pay for as well....

UPDATE ....

Ok .. First and foremost ... I am a Bone-Head .... That being said, here is what happened.

So after I could not find a fuse to change out for the Interior Map and Dome Light, I called Ben. Ben gave me the valid info I needed. We came to the conclusion that maybe something happened in the BCM, and I might have done some major damage to it. So I swallow my pride and I make the appointment for my truck ... (Monday)

Last night I am out washing my truck (Tuesday) getting it ready for the appointment. When I noticed that he Cargo Light indicator is illuminated on my instrument panel. I am like, Oh Sh*t ... Because I figure that the Map and Dome lights, are now connected to the Cargo Light, as they are all in the same "area" of the truck, for a wire to be run. (Plus I pulled the Map light console off of the roof to take a peek.)

So I take it into the dealership (Wednesday), hoping to use my Major Guard Warranty ... I see that they are tearing stuff apart ... looking for what I couldn't find. After about 45 mins, they come get me. It seems they found the problem. They discovered two blown fuses for the BCM itself. (Now here is my Bone-Head maneuver ... I never thought of checking the BCM Fuses). So they claim it was caused buy "Moisture" from my Remote Starter ... yada yada yada ... They pulled the fuses, but did not replace.

So ... I leave and go to the parts store and get a pack of 15A small blade fuses ... I get on the phone with Ben and get him up to speed. He is as amazed as I am that there was no other damage or signs given from the BCM, with both fuses blown!!!!

... So I replace both fuses, and Sha-Zam ... All lights are back in working order ... All of them ...

Was I one LUCKY SOB?!?!?!?!? ... Yup, you betchya ... :thumbs:

What is puzzling to both Ben and I, is that there was no other indicators, i.e.: Airbag light, security light .. etc .. on the instrument panel, being illuminated. Just the one circuit that I fried. And that God that the fuses did what they were designed to do, and Blew, preventing a Heap of other problems .... What is majorly puzzling, is how something that uses LESS current to operate, actually causes an overload, and blows the fuses ....

That is it ... that is my Heart failure scenario for you all ...

Lessons Learned:

1 - Don't buy Cheap LED's

2 - Check the BCM fuses

3 - Do a little more research, before pulling a stunt like this ...

Edited by Stitches040 (see edit history)

So when you say "cheap LEDs" what do you mean? I ordered some from V-Leds and installed the ones for the lower doors today w/ no problems but have not installed the ones for the map light yet..(still scared)

Lower doors got these..... http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/DomeMap...691894-1-2.html

These (if they fit) are for the map lights..... http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/CornerS...481039-1-2.html

Edited by JF-03-SS (see edit history)

Glad to hear you got it fixed and no major damage was done. Now we need to get a list of goo LEDs to use. I'd like to upgrade all of mine. Putco seems to work for fast4popper. Does anybody else use a different brand that works and hasn't caused any problems? I don't care to spend money for a good product. I'll be seach the web tonight.