Brake Experiance Needed

mike1booth

so i have my eradispeed kits for front and rear, i have my hawk pads, i have my ss lines, i even have my caliper decals, BUT what else do i need before i begin, do i need brake disk hardware kits from autozone?? (what exactly are they?) and should i order new parking brake shoes? to do while im in there (has anyone found that they needed them?)

If you have Earls SS lines you should buy some copper crush washers to replace the ones that came with kit.. there is another post about the earls washers corroding and causing brake failure ..

and i have read that there is a problem with the rears wearing on the inside more than the outside (my truck has this problem) and that you should replace and grease the pins/clips (i forgot what they are called) and that should stop it from happening again..

I hope this helps .. chris

P.S. we should have a mod day here for us Boston guys i need to do my brakes too i just purchased R1 rotors /hawk pads/earls SS lines ..

The inner pad will wear more because it is on the piston side of the caliper, therefore it has more pressure put on it then the outer pad. Your Hawk pads should have everything you need included in the package(pins, slides, etc.).....the only things I can think of that you will need are some grease, brake fluid, and brake cleaner aerosol.

Your Hawk pads should have everything you need included in the package(pins, slides, etc.)...

neg... just pads and brake lube, i figure ill pick up sone new caliper pins since i know one on my drivers side is f'ed up, but the only thing i havnt figured out is where to get the metal piece on the caliper bracket that the pads slide along... do i reuse my existing parts or just go without...

excuse my lack of knowledge ive never upgraded brakes like this, always used oem

Edited by booth1 (see edit history)

Rear brake accelerated pad wear may be caused from moisture and road grime splashing on to the rear brake assemblies, there is a TSB in reference to this, and a "mud flap" kit that is available from GM to help combat the problem. Basically there are mud flaps that get installed into the front bottom of the rear wheel wells to try and keep road junk from spashing on to the rear brake assemblies. The mud flap kit part number is 15765007. Generally inner pads, front and rear will wear quicker than outer pads as Fireman31 mentioned.

Now is a good time to replace the e-brake shoes as you mentioned, since you'll have it apart, and Fireman31 covered the other items that you'll need.I had to replace my ebrake shoes but that was because one of my retaining clips broke and the shoe shifted and rubbed against the inside of the rotor (there is a TSB in reference to this also, but I believe that GM resolved the issues with that prior to when the SS's were released. The ebrake shoes got bigger revised retaining clips). I have the Russell 5 hose kit and I'm very happy with it, I have felt an improvement in the feel of the brake pedal...no complaints here :thumb: