Sea Foam

1 Fast SS

I know that Sea foam will work in the motor, but I have a question anyway. The other day, I changed my oil with Mobil 1 10W 30, and messed up. :nono: I was concerned, so I called the dealer, and he said that crap out of your motor! It's to thick and might not flow properly for my trip. I don't want to hurt the motor, so I changed it out the next day with Mobil 1 5W 30. The only reason I bought it, is because is was cheap at Costco for only $34 a case. Anyway, I couldn't get the new Mobil 1 filter off, and didn't want to buy another one. The S.O.B. was tight as hell! I only hand tighten it. I guess I don't know my own strength. So my question is, I put 6 Qts. in plus what ever the filter holds (a pint?). Will the sea foam disapate into the oil if I add it? Or should I NOT put it in? I just don't want to over fill it anymore than it already is, its already pass the line alittle, and not sure if it will be ok for the my trip to Wash. or not. Should I drain alittle oil out? Or will it be ok to add the Sea foam? If not, I'll just put it in my gas tank.

Terry

I know that Sea foam will work in the motor, but I have a question anyway. The other day, I changed my oil with Mobil 1 10W 30, and messed up. :nono: I was concerned, so I called the dealer, and he said that crap out of your motor! It's to thick and might not flow properly for my trip. I don't want to hurt the motor, so I changed it out the next day with Mobil 1 5W 30. The only reason I bought it, is because is was cheap at Costco for only $34 a case. Anyway, I couldn't get the new Mobil 1 filter off, and didn't want to buy another one. The S.O.B. was tight as hell! I only hand tighten it. I guess I don't know my own strength. So my question is, I put 6 Qts. in plus what ever the filter holds (a pint?). Will the sea foam disapate into the oil if I add it? Or should I NOT put it in? I just don't want to over fill it anymore than it already is, its already pass the line alittle, and not sure if it will be ok for the my trip to Wash. or not. Should I drain alittle oil out? Or will it be ok to add the Sea foam? If not, I'll just put it in my gas tank.

Terry

Hey man i think that it would be just fine i would just leave it the way you have it and put the sea foam in the tank. I mean you already changed the oil the only thing that still has 10w 30 in it is the filter, i think it would be plenty thin with 6 qts of 5w 30, just my opinion

Just leave it alone, you'll be fine, especially since the weather's getting warm. If you check your owner's manual it will have a chart showing which oil you can run at what ambient temperature, and 10w-30 is listed. First you need to know what the numbers mean...the first number (10 in this case), is the oil's weight properties that it will take on when it is cold, the second number (30), is the weight the oil will take on when warmed up to operating temperature. Both oils will have the same properties when warmed up, but the 10 weight oil will have slightly heigher weight when cold. It's not thick enough that it will cause any problems, and you drained most of it out anyway, so I wouldn't worry.

I would have left the 10W-30 in it IMO, it wouldn't hurt your engine at all, it isn't like your truck frequently sees subzero temps or anything........changing it again the next day was like throwing $34 in the trash......

I would have left the 10W-30 in it IMO, it wouldn't hurt your engine at all, it isn't like your truck frequently sees subzero temps or anything........changing it again the next day was like throwing $34 in the trash......

I agree. Your engine would have been just fine with 10W30.

Thanks guys. I just didn't want to hurt anything in the motor, and the manual did say to use only 5W 30, but I didn't read the whole thing, so it may have said other oils for different temps. Don't really have time to put the Sea foam in the PCV. I have alot to do before I leave tomorrow. I'll just throw in the tank for now, and add some to the oil in the next change. Thanks for all your help. My truck is all topped off and everything looking good for the trip tomorrow. I even bought some locking lug nuts, cause I know people have been stealing the SS wheels, and didn't need the hasle of coming out of the hotel and not having any wheels. :wtf: See you guys and gals! I might be on the site today or tomorrow just to throw a hey!

Terry