Need Help!

06redSSrwd

Hey everyone!

It's been a looooong time since I've been on and I apologize for my absence. I've been between my med school applications, taking the MCAT and I blew my right knew in the winter and had surgery in feb to reconstruct it and etc etc. So needless to say I've been out of the loop.

Anyway my truck has been throwing a check engine light, I can't remember the exact codes but the HUD keeps saying "tighten fuel cap." I always ensure it's tightened, I've removed the retainer and I've even gotten a new gas cap for it and nothing. Could I have an emissions leak elsewhere? I've tried everything I can think of and it's been like this for months, it's driving me nuts!

As always any help is greatly appreciate and I thank you all in advance.

Sincerest Regards,

ES :flag:

welcome back. the gas cap usually needs to be turned until it clicks atleast twice. if you have been doing that then its something elsewhere thats messing up. do you smell any sort of gas around the truck while its running? if you haven't been clicking it twice try that and give it a week. it should clear itself or take it to autozone and have them clear it.

Mine throws the same codes...Do a search...I think most guys replace the vent valve on the gas tank...but I did see one person who changed something on the intake manifold...Any GM tech guys??? Fireman???

LOL, it is most likely a bad purge vent solenoid or a bad purge valve.

The solenoid and the purge valve have their own dignostic check ("code") so I am leaning toward an air leak somewhere in the system itself rather than specific parts. However, that doesn't rule out the solenoid and valve. Stupid emissions checks! :jester:

• 2 years later...

BUMP....

It's been a solid two years since my last post and I still have this damn CEL. I'll get the code number as soon as I can. Any pics on where the purge vent solenoid and purge valve and hoses are so I can check them? Is there a DIY on how to fix them?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

BUMP....

It's been a solid two years since my last post and I still have this damn CEL. I'll get the code number as soon as I can. Any pics on where the purge vent solenoid and purge valve and hoses are so I can check them? Is there a DIY on how to fix them?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Post up the code when you can, don't want to speculate on anything until we know what code(s) are there.....