Daytime Running Lights

miketaylor4

My running lights aren't coming on during they day, everytime I start my ss the headlights come on during the day. The headlights are set to auto but always turn on the headlights whenever the truck starts,

Anyone have an idea to fix this

Thanks

Mike

do you have the photocell on the dash covered? if you do, the headlights will come on because that photocell thinks that it is dark outside.

I don't believe its covered I had a nav system put in when the prob started maybe that had something to do with it what would be the wire that would affect the lights. I don't want to disable the auto headlights I just want running lights on during the day and headlights at night

I don't believe its covered I had a nav system put in when the prob started maybe that had something to do with it what would be the wire that would affect the lights. I don't want to disable the auto headlights I just want running lights on during the day and headlights at night

You're probably right - if the sensor isn't covered up and it happens every time no matter how light/dark it is outside then they prob messed up some wiring when the nav was installed.

Double-check wiring...

You're probably right - if the sensor isn't covered up and it happens every time no matter how light/dark it is outside then they prob messed up some wiring when the nav was installed.

Double-check wiring...

do you know if there is a plug that goes into the sensor cause I was looking around the dash and I saw something in that area that was unpluged, also I couldent get the top dash piece off to get to it do you have any suggestion on how to get it off.

do you know if there is a plug that goes into the sensor cause I was looking around the dash and I saw something in that area that was unpluged, also I couldent get the top dash piece off to get to it do you have any suggestion on how to get it off.

There is a plug on the ambient light sensor. If this was caused by installer of your Nav system I'd take it back to them and have them disassemble the dash to hook it back up. From what I've read it's quite a process to get the top dash piece off.

There is a plug on the ambient light sensor. If this was caused by installer of your Nav system I'd take it back to them and have them disassemble the dash to hook it back up. From what I've read it's quite a process to get the top dash piece off.

Yea I agree with you there, I tried it myself this afternoon to get the top of the dash off and it seems nearly impossible, and thats the only way to get at it. Im just gonna have to bring it back to the guy. I was able to stick my finger in the hole and the like ball wasent attached to the cord just a plug so it seems to be that it became unpluged, that must be the reason why it was constantly turning the lights on.

There is a post in the "How-to" section regarding turning off the auto headlight feature. It talks about unplugging the sensor and installing a resistor in its place. This makes it think it is daylight out all the time. Soo if it is unplugged and left open (meaning no resistance) it will think it is dark out all the time. It is possible to plug it back in without pulling the top pad off. Follow the instructions in the how-to post, to get at it. Just be prepared to cut up your hands and arms trying to get at it. I am a big guy and by no means do I have small hands or arms, and I was able to squeeze back there to get at it. Good luck. I will try and find that thread and post the link here.

Rob

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=51629

Edited by delay18 (see edit history)