Ming Finish

Has anyone on here had there truck Minged? My parents have done this to there tahoe when they first got it. Its suppose to help harden and protect the paint and was wondering if anyone had any other input or knowledge and if its worth doing

LMAO... I love the names they come up for this crap... same song and dance, different name. I bet they told you you'd "never need to wax your paint again" too right?

Complete and utter BS... the stuff is nothing more than a synthetic sealant, something you could buy and apply on your own for $25-$30 and an hour in the garage. As for the durability don't be fooled. It breaks down just like anything else and leaves your paint exposed. The best sealants I have won't last much more than 4-6 months on a car that sees regular environmental exposure.

The false sense of security people have with this shit is laughable. I've had so many cars come to me where the owner is shocked how bad their paint looked b/c "I paid extra for the dealer to put that protective coating on the paint when I bought it" and of course they haven't waxed it in 2 years. Don't waste your money on this scam.

I don't know if "Minged" means the same thing now as it did then but the last time I heard of that term was back in the early 80's when I was doing a color change paint job on my 67 Camaro, some guy had it done to a T-Bird.

I don't know if "Minged" means the same thing now as it did then but the last time I heard of that term was back in the early 80's when I was doing a color change paint job on my 67 Camaro, some guy had it done to a T-Bird.

I don't think this is the same thing... I've heard of high temp baking of already dried parts to help harden the finish, which will help prevent some swirls & marring, but in no way will aid in cleaning or protection from surface contamination, oxidation, etching, etc.

Edited by Dylan06SS (see edit history)

LMAO... I love the names they come up for this crap... same song and dance, different name. I bet they told you you'd "never need to wax your paint again" too right?

Complete and utter BS... the stuff is nothing more than a synthetic sealant, something you could buy and apply on your own for $25-$30 and an hour in the garage. As for the durability don't be fooled. It breaks down just like anything else and leaves your paint exposed. The best sealants I have won't last much more than 4-6 months on a car that sees regular environmental exposure.

The false sense of security people have with this shit is laughable. I've had so many cars come to me where the owner is shocked how bad their paint looked b/c "I paid extra for the dealer to put that protective coating on the paint when I bought it" and of course they haven't waxed it in 2 years. Don't waste your money on this scam.

Tell us how you really feel....lol. I'm not an advocate of this stuff nor have I ever seen it.

Dylan might be absolutely right about Ming considering his seen these types of products first hand and has been auto detailing for a while. I was wondering about this product myself a couple of years ago.

Dylan: My question would be does a syntehtic sealent stand up to a conventional clay bar wax and buff?

Is a sealent even worth the 25-30 bucks from autozone?

Ming Mirror Finish....Website

Edited by nxtnlne (see edit history)

Tell us how you really feel....lol. I'm not an advocate of this stuff nor have I ever seen it.

Dylan might be absolutely right about Ming considering his seen these types of products first hand and has been auto detailing for a while. I was wondering about this product myself a couple of years ago.

Dylan: My question would be does a syntehtic sealent stand up to a conventional clay bar wax and buff?

Is a sealent even worth the 25-30 bucks from autozone?

Ming Mirror Finish....Website

I just get so sick of these dealership gimmics that claim to protect your paint from rain, sleet, snow, heat, nuclear bombs, and the boogey man permanently.

Sealants are very much worth the money IMO when used properly. A quality synthetic sealant when applied to 'naked' paint should stand up for about 6 months, longer depending on if its garaged, exposure to heat/elements etc. The problem with sealants is that they tend to look very 'plastic' for lack of a better term. When you see paint thats been sealed next to paint treated with a quality carnuba wax the difference is very obvious. Sealants lack the deep, warm, wet, shine of carnuba products.

The key is to strike a balance and use layering of products to get your desired result. For paint that I know will see heavy abuse, or may not be back in my garage for treatment for a long time I will lay down a coat of sealant first, think of it as you "last barrier". On top of that, depending on the color of the paint, and preference of the owner I'll layer other products... this way I get the "pretty" effect of carnuba while there is still an underlying protective coat when the top coat breaks down.

Sealants are pretty easy to use as well... personally I use Optiseal on my wifes car and then top it with Adams Buttery Wax. For my paint I use Adams Machine Superwax (a polymer blend sealant/wax) and then top that with Buttery Wax and/or Brilliant Spray Glaze. Part of the fun in detailing is playing with combinations and finding what works for what situation, color, etc.

If you're looking for sealant Optiseal is awesome... best part is how easy it is to use. Its literally a wipe on walk away product, no buffing off, no removal, just wipe on a thin layer and let it cure... thats it. Really a kickass product for daily drivers or if you're not all that big into appearance. I have customers whos cars are treated exclusively with it and I can see a solid 3-6 months out of it in daily driver type conditions before it starts to deteriorate.

As for standing up to buffing/clay... no... if you take a cleaner polish or a medium claybar to the paint the sealant will come up, but basic washing, rain, heat, UV, etc won't break it down that quick.

BTW if anyone is interested:

http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/optiseal.html

Edited by Dylan06SS (see edit history)