Rear End Howling.......

So my rear end is howling, just started. Can this be caused by low fluid? I just had my rear pads replaced and found out that the seals were leaking too. I guess by the hubs?

So should I replace seals and flush the rear, or is it likely that the damage has been done? and I need to replace the whole rear?

If I have to replace how much am I looking at?

PS: Truck is an '03 AWD SS. 73,000 miles.

Edited by Super Silverado (see edit history)

So my rear end is howling, just started. Can this be caused by low fluid? I just had my rear pads replaced and found out that the seals were leaking too. I guess by the hubs?

So should I replace seals and flush the rear, or is it likely that the damage has been done? and I need to replace the whole rear?

If I have to replace how much am I looking at?

PS: Truck is an '03 AWD SS. 73,000 miles.

Leaking axle seals can be serious and should be addressed ASAP. Low fluid can cause noise in the rear end, but if you are hearing excessive noise, usually there is bearing damage or just bad/worn bearings in general. To replace the axle seals, carrier bearings, and/or pinion bearing will cost a few hundred dollars.

Leaking axle seals can be serious and should be addressed ASAP. Low fluid can cause noise in the rear end, but if you are hearing excessive noise, usually there is bearing damage or just bad/worn bearings in general. To replace the axle seals, carrier bearings, and/or pinion bearing will cost a few hundred dollars.

I should also note I just started hearing the noise after I had my tires rotated. The front tires that went to the rear were kinda worn, estimated 5,000 miles left on them, while the tires that went from rear to front still looked very good with about 15,000 miles left on them. Estimates are by the Sears tech after he measrued the treads. The first time I heard the noise was driving home from sears. Could the tires be making this noise or is this highly unlikely?

I should also note I just started hearing the noise after I had my tires rotated. The front tires that went to the rear were kinda worn, estimated 5,000 miles left on them, while the tires that went from rear to front still looked very good with about 15,000 miles left on them. Estimates are by the Sears tech after he measrued the treads. The first time I heard the noise was driving home from sears. Could the tires be making this noise or is this highly unlikely?

Could be, there is the possibility that one of your rear tires has a bad belt inside of it, which can create that type of noise....

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

When was the last time you changed the fluid on that rearend..... im new to the whole ss thing cuz i just bought mine on the 14th of may and im not to fimiliar with the truck yet, but not changing fluid at recommended miles can be devistating to your drivetrain. I have an 04 GTO and the rearend went out on it at 65000 because i never changed the fluid out on at the recommended 30000 miles. 10k miles before it went out it started whinning.....but its different with every rearend and the one they put in the GTO is Junk.

I recommend changing fluid right away...... in some cases it goes away but some time your just shortly prolonging the inevitable.

• 1 month later...

after you take care of the rear, and you still have a noise, CHECK your front diff. :smash:

my 03 had 190 mi. on it when i picked it up, and it had what we all thought was a rear pinion bearing bad. after 3 rebuilds, and a complete rear change, we found that it WAS THE FRONT DIFF that was shot..the sound was traveling Thur the drive line.. this was the start of GM's first hand run in with bad front diffs on 03-04 SSs

good luck

:seeya: