Thinking About Getting A Jet Ski Or Two...need Some Info

SSThunder

I've been tossing around the idea of buying a jet ski or two this summer. I'd like to have one that can go at least 50 mph or so. I'd like a good dependable brand/model. what do you guys recommend?

I've been tossing around the idea of buying a jet ski or two this summer. I'd like to have one that can go at least 50 mph or so. I'd like a good dependable brand/model. what do you guys recommend?

are you looking for the stand up jet ski, or like a sit down one. as far as stand up jet ski's Kawasaki is the best imo. and the original. In my area at least you can find them used for dirt cheep, like 400-700 bucks (for the stand up ones)!! and their supper easy to work on and mod. as far as sit down they usually cost quite a bit more, and I like Yamaha for those. hope this helps, love your truck by the way :thumbs:

Edited by Quinnster (see edit history)

...as far as sit down they usually cost quite a bit more, and I like Yamaha for those.

I would also say that the Yamaha's are the MOST reliable, Kawasaki being a close second (but the Kawi's are more 'bland', IMO...not as fast, not as fun to ride).

50mph is no problem....

The 60mph barrier is where they start to be considered 'fast'.

I have a '98 XL1200 (3-seater, 1200cc Yamaha, 135hp) that does 58 (on GPS), and a '00 GP120R (2-seater, 1200CC with 155hp) that will do almost 68mph (also on GPS).

Be wary of people claiming overly fast speeds...they will say "does 70mph"...but that's probably the stock speedo. They are WAY off. Mine, for example...shows 75mph when I'm doing ~65mph. Very typical. People call them 'dream-o-meters', not speedometers.

NOTE: Get educated about safe boating, and ALWAYS wear your lifevest.

- Brian

Oh...and there's a BIG difference between 2-strokes (cheaper, easier to work on) and 4-strokes (basically a modern motorcycle engine with a gear-reduction, to maintain ~7000rpm prop speed with 10,000rpm engine speed).

Pretty much any jet ski / waverunner before ~2005 will be 2-stroke...late models will ALL be 4-stroke.

- Brian

You've got to love a gimmick advertising film from sea-doo too...

I'm sure most of the othe rpopular models might be cable of the same performance.

65mph on the water is fast. That will outrun 95% of the boats and watercraft out there.

Honda's hands-down. They basically have civic motors in them. Look for left-over models - I used to work for a dealer and we sold our left-overs super cheap.

Honda's hands-down. They basically have civic motors in them. Look for left-over models - I used to work for a dealer and we sold our left-overs super cheap.

:withstupid: i got my honda on 06 and it was a left over from 05 brand new for 7k with no trailer.....i love it and its fast as hell its the one with the turbo.....msrp on those is about 12k....and since its a k series motor like the one on the civic i have done all the maintenance my self and it still runs like a champ handles great to.....will be taking it out this weekend to the lake :cheers:

I'm looking for a sit down model. I figure 50 mph would be plenty fast enough for me. I've been checking my local Graigs list and have found some of the older models pretty cheap. How old is too old when looking at these? I see plenty of jet skis from the late 90's.

Not sure if its true or not, but I was told that jet skiis are like motorcycles in that it is very hard to find service and parts for ones that are getting over the 10yr old mark. Might be something to consider. I do know that technology has come a long ways for watercraft since the 90's. It sounds like you want to possibly pay cash for a used one. Check out boattrader.com and of course ebay too. craigslist means it is local and easier to probably look at though. I'm sure in these tough times you will find a killer deal if you are patient and look hard enough. Toys like that are the first thing to go when someone loses their job.

i had polaris when they were the water bike to have. A sea doo is lighter in the water and unstable but they are fast if your looking for a family ride that its still fun go yamaha or honda they also have supercharged and turbo charged models

I bought a new '04 RXP when they came out and had it for 3 summers before I sold it. The thing was bulletproof, I put 65 hours on mine and needed nothing more than oil changes. I added a Riva Stage 1 kit, Riva BOV, Rotax Racing Pipe, Riva Supercharger washers, and Denso Iridium Plugs and you could ride all day long at 72+ MPH WFO (on GPS) like nothing. The thing handled like a dream and was very stable with 1 or 2 people on it. I don't think I ever tipped it over as a matter of fact. I would recommend one of these to anyone. If you have a family, I would recommend an RXT (3-seater).

IMO (no offense to you Honda owners), the Honda R-12X is a turd compared to the RXP. I rode my buddies and for one it was gutless and two it was tippy as hell. I was happy I didn't buy one because thats what I originally wanted.

I wish I wouldn't have sold it, but needed cash for the dreaded engagement ring :P . Now thinking I might buy a left-over RXP-X..... :smash:

Worthless without pics :P

019.jpg

Picture002-2.jpg

Picture001-2.jpg

We have 2 1998 Kawasaki 1100zxi's 2 seaters that were bought new in 98. We have had absolutey 0 problems and we run them in salt water! In fact we just changed out the original battery from 11 years ago! They run 62-63 mph stock and are 3cylnder 2stroke. I love the aggressive handling of the 2seater Kawasaki. If you looking for comfort and stability then I would go 3 seater.

I heard some horror stories about Honda though. Could be why they still have old new stock from 04.

DevenStretchin2.jpg