A/c Snowflake With The Line Through It....?

AKSSS

Ok, I have gone through quite a few old posts trying to figure this out but I didn't find much about this. It finally got above 80 here today and I pushed my snowflake button to turn on the a/c like if have always done, and the snowflake turns on with a line through it. I haven't turned my a/c on in probably 8 months just because of the weather. Then later in the day my wife turns the snowflake off and the air turns ice cold!!?? I dont' get it? I thought that the snowflake (without the line through it) meant that the a/c was turned on? And why would mine now show the snowflake with the line through it? I did find out that the snowflake with the line through it mean that the a/c pump is shut off. The only thing that has changed since last year is my tune. I highly doubt this could affect it, but maybe? Any ideas?

The Silverado display and button are opposite of the other GM vehicles - the snowflake button (WITH line through it) tells you when the A/C compressor is OFF - on other GM cars (like the Trailblazer) there is also a snowflake button but NO line through it, and it tells you when the A/C compressor is ON.

Regardless of vehicle, the A/C compressor is (by default) always on, even if you are using the heater in the winter to dry all the humidity out of the air and speed defrosting of the windows; in the Silverado, when you engage this button you are manually turning OFF the A/C compressor clutch relay (hence the line through the snowflake icon).

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

The Silverado display and button are opposite of the other GM vehicles - the snowflake button (WITH line through it) tells you when the A/C compressor is OFF - on other GM cars (like the Trailblazer) there is also a snowflake button but NO line through it, and it tells you when the A/C compressor is ON.

Regardless of vehicle, the A/C compressor is (by default) always on, even if you are using the heater in the winter to dry all the humidity out of the air and speed defrosting of the windows; in the Silverado, when you engage this button you are manually turning OFF the A/C compressor clutch relay (hence the line through the snowflake icon).

Mr. P.

agreed

Actually, you have the first gen climate control, which was updated in 04 to the traditional, snowflake = on. My 03 GMC is like yours, and my 04 silverado SS has the latter system. I guess too many people complained about the reverse function, therefore GM redid the system

Mr. P.

i would have to disagree with the compressor being allways on.the compressor only pumps the refrigerant when the relay engages the clutch.if that was true then everybody's ac system would ice up when the evaporator fan wasnt running because you wouldn't be removing heat from the evaporator causing it to ice up Edited by blackbeast ss (see edit history)

Mine ices up in 10 mins and no air whether it be warm or cold flows. All the lines under the hood are solid ice. I had it in to the dealership because it would not turn on. Turns out it looks like he may have wired something up directly and it runs all the time? I don't know, I've been running all winter with the a/c belt off. Gotta take it back to them to fix it right. Its finally warming up here.

• 13 years later...