Which Clay Bar?

If weather permits im planning on claying my truck this weekend and wanna know what is better (Mothers, or blue magic) If used blue magic in the past with good results but keep seeing guys here using mothers clay bar kit alot so Im wondering if its worth my time to buy the mothers one or stick with blue magic. ive used meguiars clay kit in the past and hated it. thanks.

If weather permits im planning on claying my truck this weekend and wanna know what is better (Mothers, or blue magic) If used blue magic in the past with good results but keep seeing guys here using mothers clay bar kit alot so Im wondering if its worth my time to buy the mothers one or stick with blue magic. ive used meguiars clay kit in the past and hated it. thanks.

Heres the thing, there are only a few companies that manufacture clay... pretty much every claybar on the market comes from one of these places and then is rebranded to be sold. Almost all over the counter (sold at autozone, pepboys, etc) bars are a light grade of clay, meaning they're all the same. For most people this is enough. Unless you are doing some real gnarly surface prep on an extremely neglected and contaminated surface thats all you'll need. Stepping up from there you can get medium and heavy grades of clay, but more often than not these are more aggressive than necessary and can even mar up your finish.

The key to picking a clay kit is going to be choosing one that gives you a good size bar (check the box for gram size) and a high lubricity lubricant. IMO the spray that comes with the mothers bar is much better than the one that comes with the magic kit, but again thats just my opinion.

Hope that helps.

i use a Maguires kit that i bought from a local auto shop and it worked great. It came with the clay plus the Maguires quick detailer for lubrication, and wax which i did not need but the kit was 20 bucks and it seemed to work great on my truck But i see from your ost that you hated it

Im getting ready next week to clay bar my truck, my truck is covered in hard water stains right now, my truck looks gray ugh :fume:

Edited by diggerdan11 (see edit history)