Chrome Wheel Problem

Jim Coher

I bought 22" aftermarket wheels that look like the factory 20" wheels and after two winters in upstate New York they are shot. The chrome is peeling off and they look like crap. I'm going to buy new wheels. Does anyone know if the factory rims hold up better or if there is a quality aftermarket wheel that will hold up to the NY State salt. My neighbor has a Ford that he has driven for years and his chrome wheels still look great.

I have ran my factory chrome wheels for the last three winters, with regular cleanings and regular polishings, they are holding up just fine. Sounds to me like whoever manufactured those rims did a poor job of the chroming process....

I have ran my factory chrome wheels for the last three winters, with regular cleanings and regular polishings, they are holding up just fine. Sounds to me like whoever manufactured those rims did a poor job of the chroming process....

That's what I thought. I'm looking at some GM aftermarket wheels you can buy from the dealer. I would guess they are the same quality as the OEM wheels. For the 04 SS they only list 20" but for the 07, 08 & 09 they list 22". A dealer I talked to wasn't sure if they would fit, but I believe they will. Do you know if there would be a problem?

check and see how much it is to get them re-dipped

Good idea but after talking to a chrome plating outfit near by he said I'd be better off buying new. The wheels I have are aftermarket and are junk. Thanks anyway for the input.