Ecm

desrtrat

will after 65 mo. my stock AC Delco battery is giving up the ghost :sigh: not holding a charge.

the question is, at what voltage will the ECM louse memory. i can charge it up for about 10 min @10 amp charge and it will start. alt puts out 14-14.3 volts. let sit over night and it will drop down to about 8 volts. i need to replace the battery, but i have a smog inspection due in July and i would hate to find out that I'm going to need a run cycle to pass. truck only sees about 100 mi per month now..

thanks

:seeya:

Is your battery completely draining, or is it just draining enough to chatter the relays and keep the truck from starting? If your battery has enough of a charge to chatter the relays, I think you will be fine. Just keep in mind that once you disconnect the battery to replace it, or if it completely drains, you will need at least 50 or so miles of drive time in order for the monitors to be ready for inspection.....since you are due for inspection in July, the sooner you replace the battery, the better.

Also, a dead battery makes the alternator work harder, and if you run too long with a bad battery, it will kill your alternator too......