Lose So Much Torque!

fastsspr

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did you dyno it to come to this conclusion?

it may feel like you lost some due to less backpressure. whats to say you didnt gain that right back and some a higher rpms?

loose that torque in the low end but i but is for sure that it run better at top end it pull stonger above 2500rpm.The thing is my truck is my daily driver and i want to have the best MPG out of it but i really feel it weak in the first 2000rpm when i drive it.

With the mailorder tune you the truck going to eat a lot more gas?

the only real way to tell, is if you had a dyno before and after. another thing i feel that may be playing a role is the noise. when you are under less throttle but the noise level is higher, you feel like you should be moving faster than you really are. this is all speculation of course, but i call it the "noise to speed" affect. when i have my truck un-capped, i feel like my acceleration is slower than it would be if it were capped. again, the only way to be certain is dyno results. it would be interesting to see a capped dyno vs an un-capped dyno.

Edited by WODY™ (see edit history)

My take on this is the following........first off, you need a custom tune. Not only will you get more power from one, but you may pick up a couple MPG too. Second issue I think is that you need an X-pipe to equalize the exhaust pressure, it will help the poor sound and performance you feel. Third, I feel that 3" pipe is too much for a near stock truck IMO. Again, IMO I do not see the need for dual 3" unless you are blown, spraying, or making mega HP.....2-1/2" is more then sufficent in most cases.

My take on this is the following........first off, you need a custom tune. Not only will you get more power from one, but you may pick up a couple MPG too. Second issue I think is that you need an X-pipe to equalize the exhaust pressure, it will help the poor sound and performance you feel. Third, I feel that 3" pipe is too much for a near stock truck IMO. Again, IMO I do not see the need for dual 3" unless you are blown, spraying, or making mega HP.....2-1/2" is more then sufficent in most cases.

x pipe :thumbs:

as long as your future mod plans require the need for 3" then keep em.

the only real way to tell, is if you had a dyno before and after. another thing i feel that may be playing a role is the noise. when you are under less throttle but the noise level is higher, you feel like you should be moving faster than you really are. this is all speculation of course, but i call it the "noise to speed" affect. when i have my truck un-capped, i feel like my acceleration is slower than it would be if it were capped. again, the only way to be certain is dyno results. it would be interesting to see a capped dyno vs an un-capped dyno.

Hi man disagree with you man because i not need a dyno for a simple thing like this one.I had my truck from the last 3 years i both it new and i know it feels like. I notice that the power band was moved up.From my first car in 1989 and iroc z until today i modded all my cars to a point that the slows one ran 12s and the faster that i have ran in the 9s.So I'm very familiar with noise and spped.The thing is that probably the cam GM put on those trucks need some back pressure to move from the stop line a vehicle that heavy like my truck.But im so surprice with source a diference at low speed. The thing that it was only the muffler what if i change all the exhaust sistem!!!!!

Hi man disagree with you man because i not need a dyno for a simple thing like this one.I had my truck from the last 3 years i both it new and i know it feels like. I notice that the power band was moved up.From my first car in 1989 and iroc z until today i modded all my cars to a point that the slows one ran 12s and the faster that i have ran in the 9s.So I'm very familiar with noise and spped.The thing is that probably the cam GM put on those trucks need some back pressure to move from the stop line a vehicle that heavy like my truck.But im so surprice with source a diference at low speed. The thing that it was only the muffler what if i change all the exhaust sistem!!!!!

i have the 3" magnaflow muffler welded into my stock pipes and my seat of the pants said no loss or gain. A i am sure you know your way around cars but there is no way you felt a loss or gain from a muffler bolted into a stock truck. The change is so small that a dyno is the only way to tell what happened, and even at that you'd have to make sure the air conditions are the same because the loss or gain is so small even truck temp could throw the numbers. Even if a muffler would change your truck, i don't think you'd see any change down low, it would all happen at a higher rpm where flow is going to make the most difference. If your talking about 10 hp from a muffler being added at peak hp then at low rpm your talking about feeling a 1-3 hp change. However i tend to be very critical of exhaust systems and the HP they claim to make, and also critical of the seat of the pants method of testing. But this is just my opinion and i am in no way saying you don't know your way around a car.

Brad

Hi Brad, what i saying is, i feel a deference at part throttle with the new muffler.But i know is no way to measure how big or small difference using the seat of a pant test. What do know my truck feel weird.