Best Deal On A 383 Stroker Kit!

Ok, I picked up a car for a fairly decent price earlier in the year. I traded a friend a rear end and an intake for this complete motor that is the core of my build. The motor is a 1992 GM 350 block, 2 pc rear main seal, 4 bolt main block. It is in the machine shop getting bored .30 over right now, and getting the heads cleaned up. I got this motor from him because it had a complete set of Performer RPM heads, Performer intake, 1.5" roller rockers, and a matching (unused) Edelbrock 750 CFM carb. All worth more than the rear end and intake that I gave up for them. What I'm asking for is some help in picking out my 383 Stroker kit. I'm fairly new to building engines, So I would like some help in getting this started on the right foot. On a side note, the guy boring out, and cleaning up my heads and block did one of the motors for the Drag Race high reality show that was on Speed TV. Cool guy, and his name is Guy.

My goals are to have a reliable 450HP 383 stroker.

Compression should be around 11:5:1 area because of aluminum heads.

Parts I have: 350 Block, bored .30 over.

Performer RPM heads. Link here ------> Performer RPM Heads

Performer RPM matching 750 CFM Carb : Edelbrock 750 CFM Electric Choke Carburator

Performer Intake: Performer Intake

I would like to work with what I have already, but I am willing to switch some things around.

What else do I need to get this going in the right direction, and where can I find the best deals on them?

Here is what its all going into eventually. I'm building this for my wife. She is an awesome person and she is in Iraq at the moment. So, I would love to have this done by mid September when she gets back. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

1981 Corvette C3

IMG_6982.jpg

IMG_6984.jpg

IMG_6980.jpg

IMG_6985.jpg

Edited by Marine_SSGT (see edit history)

I thought with that high of a compression ratio you would have to run better than 91 octane. Is this a daily driver for her?

It won't be a daily driver, just a toy to play around with every now and then. She wanted to see some guys faces when she lines up against them at Pamona raceway. lol

I got 468 horses out of my 383 stroker build, however I cannot for the life of me find my build sheet from the engine shop. Complete build was $3500 turn key. I will dig through all my paperwork tomorrow to see if I can give ya more info! I know its a Crane Cam, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Dart 2.02 heads, 1972 350 4 main block. Keith Black internals...either way you will not be disappointed with a stroker in the 'Vette. Good luck with the build!

im not big on the parts for sbc but id assume the better brands are also in the ls market.

how do you plan to run it @ pomona? afaik they never have test n tune or anything.

get in contact with someone that builds sbc's they have the biggest aftermarket for a v8 out there. lots of possibilities for sure.

and at the compression you want you will be able to run pump gas just set the timing accordingly , and do it on a warm day as that will be when it most likely to have some detonation.

I'm gathering some info for you...check back for an edit within an hour...

450hp isnt hard from a 383, but there might be a couple of changes you could make.

EDIT: Ok...Here it is...

Edelbrock isnt that bad when it comes to power for old school sbc, they just lag in modern muscle updates. I think one of the main issues you are going to face is engine to hood clearance and water pump clearance when choosing intake manifolds and heads.

The good news is that Edelbrock themselves manufactures 460hp 383 crate engines so you can model your build directly after their engine. You do not need 11.5:1 compression. You will have issues if you do. 9.5-10.5:1 is plenty with 91-94 octane. Here is a list of Edelbrocks components...You might want to swap heads to the victor Jr's and run 10-10.5:1 compression in lieu of the E-tec heads they use or just use the E-tec 200's (very important, they make a E-tec 170's that anemic at best). Its an idea. Of course you could swap out from Edelbrock heads altogether and just go with Dart Pro1's for sbc or Trickflow twisted wedge heads and probably get similar results, maybe even slightly more.

Also, you should consider going with the Edelbrock RPM air gap manifold if will fit. If hood clearance is a problem with the RPM, you might want to consider the torker II open plane intake manifold instead also over the performer intake. The performer intake is not enough for this application, it will choke it out.

Build specs direct from edelbrocks website...

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc...f/crate_cat.pdf

SIGNATURE SERIES 383 9.5:1

460 HP & 460 FT/LBS TORQUE

This Signature Series 383 is truly a unique crate engine, designed

for those with an appreciation for Edelbrock performance and

collectability. This 383 cubic inch Chevy delivers 460

horsepower and 460 ft/lbs. of torque. Qualities include: 100%

brand new, GM ZZ383 short block with forged steel

crankshaft, powdered metal rods and hypereutectic pistons,

Edelbrock E-TEC 200 heads, RPM hydraulic roller camshaft,

roller rocker arms, RPM Air-Gap intake manifold, Thunder

Series AVS 800 cfm carburetor and short water pump. Unique

to the SS383, the water pump and valve covers and air

cleaner are styled with a black finish. The valve covers are

then laser engraved with the Vic Edelbrock’s signature and

the engines serial number. Only 250 will be made – get one

while you still can.

Displacement: 383 c.i.d.

Horsepower: 460

Torque: 460 ft/lbs.

Compression: 9.5:1

Block: GM ZZ383 4-bolt 1-piece rear main seal

Crankshaft: Forged steel

Pistons: Hypereutectic

Camshaft: RPM Hydraulic Roller #2207

Rocker Arms: 1.5:1 Roller

Manifold: RPM Air-Gap #75161

Cylinder Heads: Polished E-Tec 200 #609819

Carburetor: Thunder Series AVS

Water Pump: Victor series aluminum

Distributor: MSD Pro Billet

Valve Covers: Cast aluminum – Signature Series

Warranty: 2-year/Unlimited mileage

SPECIFICATIONS

RPM Air-Gap manifold, 800 cfm Thunder Series AVS carb (electric choke)

MSD ignition wires, flexplate, dipstick and Champion spark plugs

I had a sbc in my 1978 Z28 Camaro with 11:1 compression, vic jr heads, vic jr intake, and the Engle cam was around 315-320 with .525" lift and I think it was 110 lobe sep. That motor made 485hp on an engine dyno, 420@ the wheels and went 12.24 on DOT drags in a 3200lb car + driver. Person I sold it to got it to go 11.85 with slicks. I had a 4000stall TCI 10" converter in it with a TCI TH350 trans and an auburn posi 4.10 10 bolt.

I was running the vic jr, which sacrificed some low end, but made up for it in the top end. I also was running a Holley 750cfm double pumper with a modified proform valve body. I would look into that, much cheaper than a demon carb, but almost as good. I also ditched the mech pump and ran a holley electric pump from the fuel cell. When the engine was first built, it only dyno'd 465hp. We swapped the main body of the holley with the choke tower for the open proform body and gained 20hp. Blew me away that it made that much difference. I will never run an edelbrock carb ever again either. I had nothing but problems and tuning issues with my 600cfm edelbrocks I had. And they leaked...and leaked. The edelbrocks are the old carter carb design anyways. I should also tell you that the 485 was on 110 octane with timing compensated as such. It could run on 94 + a bottle of octane booster and pulling some timing, which is the way I drove it on the street. And I stand corrected, my cam profile was a 548 lift, not 525. My first build was 525 lift and that motor was not dyno'd, but both cams were from engle, had a local engine builder who swore his life on them, designed his own cam profiles from them and wouldnt give out cam cards with his engine build, but he got results.

Based on all of that, I also suggest you DITCH THAT POS EDELBROCK CARB and upgrade to the same Holley 4150 Double pumper with mechanical secondaries (this is very important...very). You shouldnt probably run the vctor Jr intake as it scacrifices low end torque and is for all out racing.

Stall:

You will need to upgrade the converter and I recommend an 11" converter in the 2600-3300 rated stall speed range. A 10" 4000 stall would not be driver friendly and too much for that corvette for what you want to do (i.e. drive it on the street and track) and the 383 doesnt need it like a 355 would. Is it even an automatic? Or a 4spd, didnt see either way. It looks like an auto in the picture, but not 100% sure.

That is my advice/opinion, take it or leave it. I wish you good luck on whatever you choose to do and hope you can surprise your wife.

BTW, with a 450hp motor in that vette, it should a be mid-low 12's ride with a mild stall.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

Thanks for the advise Black2003SS. I am trying to work with the heads that I have. Just about everything else is up to change if I have to. I do have an older Holley 4150 Double pumper carb that I can rebuild to work with this setup also. I'm not too worried about hood clearance either. I will either get a different hood to fit, or I will just cut a hole in the hood to make it fit and add an air scoop for the cool factor. It is an automatic, and I do have a TCI TH350 Streetfighter transmission to slap in there also. I might drive up to the Edelbrock headquarters and talk to their engine builders and see if I can get a build sheet with all the specific part numbers on it. They are only an hour away from me now. Once again, thanks for the advice.

TCI Street Fighter = good choice. I also ran a TCI street fighter behind my setup in my 78. It was an awesome trans for the money and should hold up nicely. Laying on my back in the garage with the trans on my chest, lifting it into the car, not so much fun...lol. I think you still might be able to get to your goal of 450hp with the edelbrock rpm heads. The RPMs just dont flow as well as the others, but are still good heads and can make some power. If you run 10.5:1 compression instead of 9.5:1, that will help get there.

I remember installing and removing that transmission from my 1982 C-10. It was a pain in the butt. I also installed a B&M shift kit in it. It was shifting hard when I last used it. I'm kind of excited to be putting this together for my wife. She thought that I got this car for myself. I've played it off as if this is going to MY toy to play with. She tolerates me so, it will be kind of bitter sweet to just throw her the keys when its running again. The only thing she has asked for, is for me to let her race it at a drag strip once, so she knows what it feels like. So, hopefully we can make that happen for her when its all said and done.

I do appreciate the help in putting some ideas and information out there for me to read over. Thanks.

well if you want to spend some more money.. il sell ya my motor..lol my 383 is only a 9:5:1 and i made 553hp and thats speedway pump gas .. and its a nitros motor with a 300shot on it.. so i dont know what its going to make once i spray it.hopefully 850 875 :jester: . you should have no problem makin 450hp and streetable and with 11:5:1 you WILL still be able to run pump gas and make good power for sure..its all in the heads if you ask me.

it also depends on what your budget is.. to be honest i made the same power with a scat steel crank and rods and JE forged pistions.. i was over the HP rating of the crank and rods.. but i beat the snot out of it for 2 years and pulled it apart to put the forged crank and rods in and everything still looked great..i wish i still had them.. i sold them to my buddy for a couple hundered bucks.. would have been perfect for ya.. i see if hes going to do anything with them..

also make sure to do a kit with a 6inch rod.. some places do a 5.7

well if you want to spend some more money.. il sell ya my motor..lol my 383 is only a 9:5:1 and i made 553hp and thats speedway pump gas .. and its a nitros motor with a 300shot on it.. so i dont know what its going to make once i spray it.hopefully 850 875 :jester: . you should have no problem makin 450hp and streetable and with 11:5:1 you WILL still be able to run pump gas and make good power for sure..its all in the heads if you ask me.

it also depends on what your budget is.. to be honest i made the same power with a scat steel crank and rods and JE forged pistions.. i was over the HP rating of the crank and rods.. but i beat the snot out of it for 2 years and pulled it apart to put the forged crank and rods in and everything still looked great..i wish i still had them.. i sold them to my buddy for a couple hundered bucks.. would have been perfect for ya.. i see if hes going to do anything with them..

also make sure to do a kit with a 6inch rod.. some places do a 5.7

Thanks for the info. I would just buy a motor for it, but I think that she would appreciate the time, and effort that I put into it by building it myself.