Did You Like "band Of Brothers" ?

Black2003SS

New HBO Mini-series due out in 2010 called "The Pacific". I liked Band of Brothers a lot and am looking forward to seeing this one as my grandfather was in the Pacific theater...had the front of his ship blown off at Okinawa by kamikazees. Looks pretty good. My understanding though is that it is more fictional than a true story like band of brothers. However, I think if they keep away from "Pearl Harbor" movie fiction and more on story like "Band of Brothers" and "Saving Private Ryan", and do good character development, it should be good. Steven Spielberg knows what he is doing in my opinion.

Here is a trailer...

http://www.pacificfans.com/trailer.mov

Currently, not much information is available about The Pacific. Heres what we do know:

The miniseries tracks the intertwined odysseys of three U.S. Marines - Robert Leckie, John Basilone and Eugene Sledge - across the vast canvas of the Pacific. The extraordinary experiences of these men and their fellow Marines take them from the first clash with the Japanese in the haunted jungles of Guadalcanal, through the impenetrable rain forests of Cape Gloucester, across the blasted coral strongholds of Peleliu, up the black sand terraces of Iwo Jima, through the killing fields of Okinawa, to the triumphant, yet uneasy, return home after V-J Day.

It is said there will be 10 episodes at 1 hour each.

A rumored episode list:

1- Guadalcanal/Leckie

2-Guadalcanal/Basilone

3-Melbourne

4- Gloucester/Pavuvu/Banika

5- Peleliu Landing

6- Peleliu Airfield

7- Peleliu Hills

8- Iwo Jima

9- Okinawa

10- Home

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

I loved watching Band of Brothers. The book was great too. I'm looking forward to this new series. Before I left on my last deployment, my regiment (5th Marine Regiment) was helping with some aspects of this series. I'm not sure what it was though.

My dad was on Okinawa in WWII. He wouldn't talk about it much, and I can understand why.

I personally cant even begin to understand what they went through both mentally and physically. My grandfather was the same way. All of his life he only talked about his friends that were alive and he met with at reunions. He only talked about the funny good time stories...until he said he actually wanted to watch Saving Private Ryan. First time I ever saw him cry. When we all got home (him, my dad, and myself), he opened up and talked about the day his ships got hit (he was on two destroyers, both were hit hard. First one off of Sicily and the second off of Okinawa). What he saw at Iwo Jima and Okinawa, losing his friends, etc. I think it is important and good that these types of stories are being told before many of those veterans are gone forever.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

When I got back from my third deployment to Iraq, my wifes grandpa hugged me. That was kind of weird because he never shows anyone any feelings and never hugs anyone. We had a drink or two together and the stories started coming out about his time in the service. He was in the Army and only attained the rank of E-3. Not uncommon for that time. He spent his entire time runnig around Europe. I can't remember the unit he was with. We didn't even know that he was awarded a Bronze star and eventually a Silver star for his service. Stories like his and all of our veterans need to be told. When the memories fade, so do the memories of their sacrafice.

One of the things I found out about my dad's service experience was from my older cousin, after my dad had passed away. Apparently one of his duties was carrying a flame thrower. I prefer not to go into what he told me it was used for. I don't know much else about his service experience other than when I went through his records, after he died, I found that he had been awarded 5 bronze stars. And imagine that he never spoke of it! The paperwork does not list what they were awarded for though. Maybe one day I'll contact the Army to see if I can find out. :flag: