How To Keep The Ss Cool

Arts05SS

Guys,

I just replaced top and bottom coolant hoses from the radiator to the engine and the thermostat, also the small hose from the coolant reservoir. I also added a bottle of redline water wetter, but my truck is still right on 220. It seems to me it heats up more when the a/c is off. Also the transmission needle is right above 200* I guess this california doesnt help it either huh, im open to any ideas/suggestions/ part #'s!! thanks

Sounds like air in system to me too.... If it still runs hot, run some Royal Purple "Purple Ice" I dropped 5* degrees with my stock 180* stat, runs around 200-205....

Is there a way to get rid of the air trapped in it? After I added all the coolant I allowed the vehicle to get hot and I left the cap on the coolant reservoir off????

Yes - as you replaced both hoses you have completely emptied the engine block. Remove the top hose from the RADIATOR, and fill the entire system through the top radiator hose; reinstall the upper hose (yes there will be a little oversplash) and then make sure the level in the fill tank is right. By filling the system through both the upper hose AND fill tank you are assured that there is coolant on BOTH sides of the thermostat and the upper-end of the motor has coolant in it.

The transmission temp at 200 is partly to blame for your engine overheating, the hot air off the tranny cooler is 'preheating' the air entering the radiator. On a factory stock truck the ATF should never reach that temp, it's been a very long time but I recall my truck ATF gauge running about 130-150 on the hottest Texas summer days.

When evaluating engine cooling, there are TWO jobs to consider, that is how does the truck cool UNDER 40-mph and how does the truck cool OVER 40-mph, because at 40+ mph there is so much air entering the radiator any weakness in cooling will be poor shrouding, crappy radiator, failed pump (belt), stuck thermostat; below 40mph you need the fan to keep the truck cool so at slow speeds you need a properly functioning fan clutch and proper shrouding.

Do you have a low speed cooling problem, or a freeway speed cooling problem? If it's low-speed I would suggest a new fan clutch. Before that though make sure the engine is full of coolant.

Mr. P.

Yeah I replaced it with a stock stat, as far as the cooling problem its a little bit of low/speed and freeway speed, at low speed engine temp is at 220* and trans is about 205 - 210, on the freeway its a little bit under the 220 engine temp and the trans almost remains the same

But it seems to cool off more when i have the a/c on? As far the fans go its dual fan setup not fan clutch, and another thing i failed to mention is that the coolant reservoir is a little bit black, is it from the excessive heat?

But it seems to cool off more when i have the a/c on? As far the fans go its dual fan setup not fan clutch, and another thing i failed to mention is that the coolant reservoir is a little bit black, is it from the excessive heat?

Yes it will cool off more when the AC is on....when you start the AC, one of your two e-fans automatically kicks on to pull air through the condenser, which also pulls air through your trans cooler and radiator. The black stuff in your overflow is common, they tend to develop mold over time, mine has it too.....