Vin Number On 1970 Gto

lilindy500

We've got a 1970 Pontiac GTO sitting out back in the yard. It has the Judge strips and tach in the hood, had buckets, 400 ci etc. The car has been sitting there the last 20 years. My uncle who bought it years ago for parts said he never thought it was a true Judge. But yet it doesn't look like it was ever repainted, and the judge strips are correct. Back in the early 80's I think it would have been hard to get the Judge strips, so maybe they were factory? I know someone could have put them on but in the 80's, I think it would have been hard to get them and I'm not sure back then how many people would have put them on afterwards anyways. Is there a way to tell on the VIN if its a true Judge?

good but hard question. good luck.

i know you can call your local dmv and give then the vin and they can print off the info of the car for you.

i had a simular situation with my first car 1973 mustang mach 1 wasnt sure so we ran the vin and came back as a real one so try that.. again good luck and let us know if its a judge or not

There is nothing in the VIN thiat id's it as a Judge. If the first three of the VIN are 242 then it's a true GTO. If all the hardware is there, RA induction, spoiler, stripes, ect then more than likely it is. Or contact PHS (Pontiac Historical Services), and they can give you a full breakdown.

Ya from what I have been reading the VIN doesn't say exactly if its a judge. I will have to send a request in to Pontiac Historic Sites. The next funny thing is the plant it was built at. VIN 24237 0S------. The S does not represent any plant for the 1970 year. But the 0 before the letter does indeed represent 1970. Maybe I am blind but I have not been able to find the plant that is coded by "S".