Have Some Concer W/rear End

I was laying a hella burn out today and I noticed it only left one black mark. I was always thinking my posi would lay down two marks. Am I losing my mind or is my posi supposed to be laying two marks or not working.????

Edited by VhoGmc (see edit history)

If its the stock G80 rear, chances are its shot...

Time for a Detroit True-Trac and TA girdle :thumbs:

Something ill be doing in a year or so myself.

well if it is shot I need to get it in quick. My powertrain warranty is up in 3 days. So no tru trac for me yet.

Although it is not uncommon to begin a burnout with 1 wheel spinning, if you continue that way and really muscle it(which it sounds like you did), you will most certainly destroy the G80. I bet that if someone was standing behind your truck during the burnout, they probably heard a noise that sounded alot like the zipper of a ski jacket......which signifies a slipping G80, and in turn will rip the teeth off the spider gear. The G80 was more or less meant for towing and normal driving, not burnouts and drag racing. I speak from experience, a couple 1 legged burnouts are what killed my G80(didn't know it at the time, someone saw it at the track), but a TrueTrac cured that. :P If you are in warrranty, get it in quick!!!

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Although it is not uncommon to begin a burnout with 1 wheel spinning, if you continue that way and really muscle it(which it sounds like you did), you will most certainly destroy the G80. I bet that if someone was standing behind your truck during the burnout, they probably heard a noise that sounded alot like the zipper of a ski jacket......which signifies a slipping G80, and in turn will rip the teeth off the spider gear. The G80 was more or less meant for towing and normal driving, not burnouts and drag racing. I speak from experience, a couple 1 legged burnouts are what killed my G80(didn't know it at the time, someone saw it at the track), but a TrueTrac cured that. :P If you are in warrranty, get it in quick!!!

so if only one wheels is spinning my rear end is already messed up and need to get it in the shop!!

so if only one wheels is spinning my rear end is already messed up and need to get it in the shop!!

Well yes and no, the G80 needs a 100RPM difference between the two axles in order for the clutches to lock up........but in your case I think the damage is done.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hope they fix it for you... Then 500 miles after you run the new one I suggest you rip off the factory rear diff cover and get a stud girdle and some Royal Purple gear oil. I got my girdle from Summit Racing and Royal Purple from Advance Auto Parts. :cheers: