Any Jet Ski Owners That Can Help Me With A Problem?

SSThunder

Ski ran fine the first time out. Ran it for 2 hours, it missed some but nothing major. next time out i let my cousin drive it and he got close to shore. After that we took it out and it died at full throttle. Then it would run for a little and started dying. If we let it sit, it would run again. I thought it might be plugs so I replaced those. Tok it out again and after an hour it started dying again. we let it sit and rode it some more. I checked the plugs when I got back and they seem pretty black but I couldn't image plugs are the problem now. Letting it sit and cool off, it rides fine for 30 mins or so. I'm thinking something is getting hot but I'm not getting a warning light or anything. Is it possible I've got a bad coil or spark plug wire? I'm also thinking some junk might have gotten into the system and it's got a glog and not cooling as it should. Anybody with a jet ski run into a similiar problem? This is my first jet ski so I'm just trying to figure things out but I've got a service manual so I'm not affraid to work on her. any thoughts guys?

BOOM my buddy has an 1100 with the same problem. LOL But his lazy tailend hasn't taken it in to have it diagnosed. I'd like to know also if anyone has any input b/c ill prolly be tha one to fix it. Thanks

I'm going through the service manual checklist for what might be causing the problem. Either way I'm sure it's going to cost me unless the cooling system has a clog. The EMM computer in these things seems to go bad fast and that's a $900+ repair...wow :eek: The injector set is $400+ and the fuel pump is $300+. Even the plug wires are crazy high. It takes 2 parts to make 1 plug wire and that cost is $80+ per wire times 3 is $240!!! The coils are $34.68 each. if you want to see a parts price list check out this link: 1100 STX D.I. parts

How close to shore? It doesnt take much trash to be in there for it to start causing problems? Just a little sand or whatever will hurt you bad. Id start with taking all that apart before assuming is a computer. Sounds to simple to be the computer.

Did you buy it new or used? Have you checked the cooling before?

How close to shore? It doesnt take much trash to be in there for it to start causing problems? Just a little sand or whatever will hurt you bad. Id start with taking all that apart before assuming is a computer. Sounds to simple to be the computer.

Did you buy it new or used? Have you checked the cooling before?

Right on the shore where lots of leaves and junk were. bought it used. Ran fine till he went on shore with it. Not yet. I'm working on cleaning the cooling/bilage system out right now. got to be that. Things ran great before that. now it seems to be getting hot would be my guess

guessing this is a 2 stroke right?? my Gp1300 used to do that all the time... just trying to remember what exactly it was

yep 2 stroke. Hopefully the cooling/bilage system is clogged more. I just cleaned off one of the bilage screens and it was caked on with leaves. Onto the next and then the cooing system. I'll have to flush it out ASAP.

Right on the shore where lots of leaves and junk were. bought it used. Ran fine till he went on shore with it. Not yet. I'm working on cleaning the cooling/bilage system out right now. got to be that. Things ran great before that. now it seems to be getting hot would be my guess

yep 2 stroke. Hopefully the cooling/bilage system is clogged more. I just cleaned off one of the bilage screens and it was caked on with leaves. Onto the next and then the cooing system. I'll have to flush it out ASAP.

Your on the right track i had a little pebble in the cooling inlet right at the head and it rode fine till i stayed in it fullthrottle for like 2 minutes then it would die.

I'm 99% certain its cooling and the motor is shutting down. I had the same problem with my 225hp Optimax 2stroke. The cooling outlet nozzlegot clogged up with sand and dirt and hardened. The boat would idle fine, and go fine through no wake. Once I got on it, it would start to get hot and shut off. It wouldnt start again until the motor cooled off enough. These modern two strokes have safety measures built into them. I bet you have a sensor somewhere that detects if the engine is over heating. Find where the hot water is supposed to come out at. I would check that for clogging as well. I had to clean mine out with a coat hanger. Your system might not be completely blocked though since it takes some good running to get it to die, but then it needs to sit and cool off to start it back up.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

UPDATE: I tore into the cooling system last night and didn't see a blockage. The bilge stuff was a mess so I cleaned that up. I'm putting it back together and going to test it this weekend. If it does the same thing and dyes after an hour of run time, I'm going to check on the coils and capasitor. Got to charge the battery again. It's below the 12.6 volts the book requires.

UPDATE: I tore into the cooling system last night and didn't see a blockage. The bilge stuff was a mess so I cleaned that up. I'm putting it back together and going to test it this weekend. If it does the same thing and dyes after an hour of run time, I'm going to check on the coils and capasitor. Got to charge the battery again. It's below the 12.6 volts the book requires.

Sounds like you may need to spring for a new battery too. You're using the Jet Ski, but it's not keeping the battery up. Either a weak battery or a bad charging system. Any vehicle I've ever had that had a problem, the first thing the pros say to check is the battery. Is the engine water cooled? Does a pump circulate water through the cooling jackets? If so, and the battery is weak, it could not be cooling it properly.

Just a thought... I don't own a Jet Ski, but just tried applying common sense to your problem.

Good luck. Keep us posted.