Turbo Rebuild Suggestions

Welp the joys of buying things used has poked its head out. Both my turbos are blowing oil out the intake and exhaust housing. Im pretty sure the seals are blown out or worn. I need to have them rebuilt i talked to majestic and honestly they must be extremely proud of their work because they want 400 a piece to rebuild them. Any recommendations would be helpful thanks

Welp the joys of buying things used has poked its head out. Both my turbos are blowing oil out the intake and exhaust housing. Im pretty sure the seals are blown out or worn. I need to have them rebuilt i talked to majestic and honestly they must be extremely proud of their work because they want 400 a piece to rebuild them. Any recommendations would be helpful thanks

honestly, do them yourself. its not hard. couple bolts, bearings and seals. with the work you have done on your truck, i am sure you can get it done. look into it, its not that intimidating. :cheers:

honestly, do them yourself. its not hard. couple bolts, bearings and seals. with the work you have done on your truck, i am sure you can get it done. look into it, its not that intimidating. :cheers:

ohhhhhh reeee heeee heeelllay cool deal man thanks

well i got them apart called turbonectics it should be easy to do. I should start doin this fro people and would make good money at half the price of other lol. Thanks chris for the kick start i contacted greg at turboneticsparts.com and i am getting 2 rebuild kits for around 290 bucks sure beats the heck out of 800 to 900 dollars. These are basic and easy to rebuild

IMG_3297.jpg

Edited by MIDNIGHTRIDR (see edit history)

well i got them apart called turbonectics it should be easy to do. I should start doin this fro people and would make good money at half the price of other lol. Thanks chris for the kick start i contacted greg at turboneticsparts.com and i am getting 2 rebuild kits for around 290 bucks sure beats the heck out of 800 to 900 dollars. These are basic and easy to rebuild

IMG_3297.jpg

:) glad i could help. sometimes its good to just try. i mean worst case, you have it apart and send it to them to finish it anyway. :cheers:

it has restrictors already and yes the seals were wore out one had a fold in it. also the bearings look wore. It may be starting to make sense why all of the sudden the original owner sold it so fast. If any one does decide to tackle this project be sure to mark the shaft, jam nut, and compressor impeller so you can line it back up and save a trip to the balancer

damn I leave for 3 months and when I get back you have a TT setup. WTF??? I cant wait til I have enough money to get a turbo kit... I was gonna rebuild a turbo a while ago for my old car but I heard you had to get the turbo shaft balanced after you did it...

as long as the new bearing are balanced you should be ok unless the seals are on the moving part ? are they? ive never rebuilt a turbo but it seems like it would be a good learning experience. im sure the variable vain turbos have a few more parts to them since thats about all i would touch at work.

it would be good to see if you took one of the rebuilt ones to get balanced to make sure you were good. that would give me peace of mind about it in the future.