Video Of Zr1 Getting Nudged Out By Van

1320jon

this is just funny, excuses for a zr1 against a van? Really.....The zr1 needs slicks to run a van ? On 20 inch radials....lolololol but but but the van is awd.........and the driver was sleeping.......

He new he was racing, and actually only gave up about 6ft.....we both ran 20 inch tires but his were alot wider. If you knew much about zr1's you d know that just putting on slicks isnt that easy. The brakes are to big, and theres not much of tire selection......so thats close to out except for the hardcore drag racer which all zr1 owners are ofcourse.

plus the van is awd....not my fault.....how but since you can make this argument, lets ad 3600 lbs to vette to even things up ok......and duct tape a 4x8 sheet of ply wood to the front.

Any ss guys on here get.....but your ss truck is awd.....waaaa, waaaa?

Its awd on purpose, its turboed the way it is on purpose....shifted at 6000, (can we make the zr1 shift at 6000 too please)

Only one z06 was faster thenthe zr1 at 12.75 teh rest slower. A awd turbo porche ran a 13.3.....all but two of the f bodies were slower, and one was a lsx 454, and all the g8s were slower, including a maggie g8 and one with heads, cam, headers, tune, intake and tire....

The cummins was faster....I ran him and he went a 12.79.. glad I have a 12 valve too.

This is how you run a ZR1 at the track..... Not not no damn 13's....

OK straight to the point, new stock ZR1 best times. We believe these times may be the quickest recorded 1/4 mile ETs for any stock production car:

10.851 @ 129.89 mph 100% bone stock on factory tires, driven by racerns

10.730 @ 132.46 mph stock on drag radials, driven by Ranger (read below for story, time slips, and videos)

As some of you may remember, my father (ZO6Jeff) and I had the opportunity to attend a private drag rental, hosted by Ranger, last April in his bone stock 2009 ZR1. It was quite the learning experience and we came away with a stock tire best of 11.05 @ 129.1 mph (me) and drag radial best of 10.98 @ 131.8 mph (Ranger). This past Monday we had the opportunity to continue that learning experience at another rental at MIR arranged by Ranger. This was a small 6 car rental with all Corvettes (we had the only ZR1, and the others were all modified) in a laid back and friendly at atmosphere. My father and I made the 3 hr drive up that morning to arrive at 9:00am. The weather conditions were a little better than the April rental, with the temps on the mid 50s and good baro to give a DA of -350ft through most of the day (as measured track side). There was a moderate to light on-and-off head wind during the day. The track prep out to the 1/8 mile was great, and even though there was no sun to warm the track it stuck well.

We decided that we were going to first concentrate on running the ZR1 on the stock tires since I had come close to breaking into the 10s last time. I ran the car in sets of 2 or 3 passes and then we would cool the car for a while. On my first set of passes I bettered my previous 11.05 with an 11.03. On my second set of passes I broke into the tens with a 10.97 @ 128.35 mph and a 1.703 60’ time. I had the launch down but really needed to work on my shift points and speed. Then during my 3rd set of passes I had another 1.70 60’ and did my best shifting to date that produced the 10.85 @ 129.8 mph run.

MIRTImeSlip-FastestStockTiresrun.jpg

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1023x682 and weights 175KB.MIR1085run.jpg

HD Videos to be added soon

After a few more passes that did not better the 10.85, we decided to put on Ranger’s 18” drag radials. It was closing in on 3 pm by this point. Ranger had not driven the car with the stock tires today but he was going to get first crack on the DRs since my driving experience with them is very limited. Ranger proved yet again that he is a driving machine by clicking off three 10.73xs passes in a row hot lapping the car. The best was his second pass of 10.730 @ 132.46 mph. I have also put up a copy of his last pass since it shows his best launch and 1/8 mile time (6.998), but the car fell a little short up top only finishing a 131.95 mph, most likely starting to see the effects of some heat soak after the previous two runs and a long day of running. I ran a few passes on the drag radials, never quite getting the launch, and turned a best of 10.95 @ 130.2 mph. Here is Rangers best.

MIRTImeSlip-FastestDRrun.jpg

MIRTImeSlip-Fastesteightmirun.jpg

Overall it was another great day at the track. The ZR1 performed flawlessly and is simply an amazing car. I also think there are still better times to be had. Even though my shifting is improving, I am pretty sure better shifting could have got another 1/10 with stock tires. I think we are just scratching the surface on drag radials. I am sure if Ranger had pulled the same launch as his last pass on his first pass, we would have seen 10.6s. I would like to thank Ranger for all the tips and putting the rental together and my father for letting me beat on his car. As for the rest of the cars, I will let the owners discuss their times but I will say that every car there made it into the 10s. thumbsup.gif

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can run any of the 18" drag radials.

I've mounted CCW Corsair Race wheels (only come in 18") on the ZR1 and the fit is tight but sufficient to clear the 15" rotors. I've not tested wheel alternatives to the Corsairs, since I already had a pair of them for my Z06.

If you order Corsairs, be sure to tell John or Chip at CCW that the wheels are for the rear of a ZR1. That will ensure correct offset/back-spacing.

When changing tires, take care to mount the blue booties over the C/C rotors, to avoid an expensive, hard lesson-learned.

In an abundance of caution, we have been using two pairs of hands to maneuver the wheel on and off the hub.

This is how you run a ZR1 at the track..... Not not no damn 13's....

OK straight to the point, new stock ZR1 best times. We believe these times may be the quickest recorded 1/4 mile ETs for any stock production car:

10.851 @ 129.89 mph 100% bone stock on factory tires, driven by racerns

10.730 @ 132.46 mph stock on drag radials, driven by Ranger (read below for story, time slips, and videos)

As some of you may remember, my father (ZO6Jeff) and I had the opportunity to attend a private drag rental, hosted by Ranger, last April in his bone stock 2009 ZR1. It was quite the learning experience and we came away with a stock tire best of 11.05 @ 129.1 mph (me) and drag radial best of 10.98 @ 131.8 mph (Ranger). This past Monday we had the opportunity to continue that learning experience at another rental at MIR arranged by Ranger. This was a small 6 car rental with all Corvettes (we had the only ZR1, and the others were all modified) in a laid back and friendly at atmosphere. My father and I made the 3 hr drive up that morning to arrive at 9:00am. The weather conditions were a little better than the April rental, with the temps on the mid 50s and good baro to give a DA of -350ft through most of the day (as measured track side). There was a moderate to light on-and-off head wind during the day. The track prep out to the 1/8 mile was great, and even though there was no sun to warm the track it stuck well.

We decided that we were going to first concentrate on running the ZR1 on the stock tires since I had come close to breaking into the 10s last time. I ran the car in sets of 2 or 3 passes and then we would cool the car for a while. On my first set of passes I bettered my previous 11.05 with an 11.03. On my second set of passes I broke into the tens with a 10.97 @ 128.35 mph and a 1.703 60’ time. I had the launch down but really needed to work on my shift points and speed. Then during my 3rd set of passes I had another 1.70 60’ and did my best shifting to date that produced the 10.85 @ 129.8 mph run.

MIRTImeSlip-FastestStockTiresrun.jpg

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1023x682 and weights 175KB.MIR1085run.jpg

After a few more passes that did not better the 10.85, we decided to put on Ranger’s 18” drag radials. It was closing in on 3 pm by this point. Ranger had not driven the car with the stock tires today but he was going to get first crack on the DRs since my driving experience with them is very limited. Ranger proved yet again that he is a driving machine by clicking off three 10.73xs passes in a row hot lapping the car. The best was his second pass of 10.730 @ 132.46 mph. I have also put up a copy of his last pass since it shows his best launch and 1/8 mile time (6.998), but the car fell a little short up top only finishing a 131.95 mph, most likely starting to see the effects of some heat soak after the previous two runs and a long day of running. I ran a few passes on the drag radials, never quite getting the launch, and turned a best of 10.95 @ 130.2 mph. Here is Rangers best.

MIRTImeSlip-FastestDRrun.jpg

MIRTImeSlip-Fastesteightmirun.jpg

Overall it was another great day at the track. The ZR1 performed flawlessly and is simply an amazing car. I also think there are still better times to be had. Even though my shifting is improving, I am pretty sure better shifting could have got another 1/10 with stock tires. I think we are just scratching the surface on drag radials. I am sure if Ranger had pulled the same launch as his last pass on his first pass, we would have seen 10.6s. I would like to thank Ranger for all the tips and putting the rental together and my father for letting me beat on his car. As for the rest of the cars, I will let the owners discuss their times but I will say that every car there made it into the 10s. thumbsup.gif

:eek: 10.8 on stock tires dammmmmmmmmm enough said that kid needs to drive a honda not a zr1!!!!

Wow dont know how I missed this thread.

1st off, Jon awesome build for sure. I give you a TON of credit for making such a killer ride, and you obviously know how to drive. I don't think anyone here is debating that. I think that what everyone is trying to say is that given a better driver in the vette the results might have been different. You said yourself that the Z06 beat him. Well that has to tell you something right there. Given a better driver and better conditions that ZR1 should have run alot faster. No one is trying to take that away from you at all. I have had some kills that were ridiculous, but the other driver just sucked. But if I were you I would def flaunt it. A kill is a kill and that guy just needs to wake up and drive lol. Nice van. Throw some more pics up when you can.

Wow dont know how I missed this thread.

1st off, Jon awesome build for sure. I give you a TON of credit for making such a killer ride, and you obviously know how to drive. I don't think anyone here is debating that. I think that what everyone is trying to say is that given a better driver in the vette the results might have been different. You said yourself that the Z06 beat him. Well that has to tell you something right there. Given a better driver and better conditions that ZR1 should have run alot faster. No one is trying to take that away from you at all. I have had some kills that were ridiculous, but the other driver just sucked. But if I were you I would def flaunt it. A kill is a kill and that guy just needs to wake up and drive lol. Nice van. Throw some more pics up when you can.

yeah exactly!!!! i gave jon props for a killer van nobody is taking that away from you,my only argument was that the zr1 should be alot faster with a skilled driver thats all :driving:

Pretty sweet. The old turbo Caravans also made me smile (I even owned one for a little while). Drag racing is all about getting it done, not what could have or should have been.

My '02 Lightning (light mods) ran a best of 13.02 @ 106 mph, but regularly fended off the newer s/c Cobras, Fbodies, etc at the track, all of which should have been faster. Conditions, driving skill, whatever. Unless you're putting money on it (which I'm not a fan of), it's about fun competition. The shock value of something like this van should make it that much more fun.

• 4 weeks later...