4l80e Installed And Running

Just wanted to say that the swap is not all that bad, the couple of odd things that I wasn't expecting was that the stock driveshaft has 1350 u-joints and a th400 slip yoke works like a charm. The other thing was that for TC to Flywheel clearance, I had to use a 1/4" spacer plate between the block and bellhousing. Without it, the TC was putting pressure on the Flywheel, causing it to flex toward the crank slightly, I dropped it a couple of times to double check that the TC was fully seated in the pump just to reinstall it with the same results. I even called the local Trans guy (he's a neighbor of mine) over to get his take on it. He happened to have the spacer at his shop and got me fixed up. All is good, Trans feels great so far, guess time will tell.

Just wanted to say that the swap is not all that bad, the couple of odd things that I wasn't expecting was that the stock driveshaft has 1350 u-joints and a th400 slip yoke works like a charm. The other thing was that for TC to Flywheel clearance, I had to use a 1/4" spacer plate between the block and bellhousing. Without it, the TC was putting pressure on the Flywheel, causing it to flex toward the crank slightly, I dropped it a couple of times to double check that the TC was fully seated in the pump just to reinstall it with the same results. I even called the local Trans guy (he's a neighbor of mine) over to get his take on it. He happened to have the spacer at his shop and got me fixed up. All is good, Trans feels great so far, guess time will tell.

1/4" spacer ? are you using a 4l80 flexplate ?

thats just not rite

1/4" spacer ? are you using a 4l80 flexplate ?

thats just not rite

I know, I know. I still have an uneasy feeling about it, but what do you do? I verfied that the pump was fully seated in the case, the tc was fully seatednon the pump. A 4l80 flywheel was used with the proper spacer (I had two both from differnt places, both identical) starter engagement on the flywheel is perfect, yet the converter contacted the flywheel when the bell housing was bolted up. I had a second opinion there from the start, he's replaced a few trans in his day, then called in the big dog. The local race trans guy lives 3 houses down from me. He came over and verified all was good as well. Then what? I made it work even though I couldn't explain it. Time will tell I guess. The cranks didn't change in 07 did they?

Edited by BigCountry (see edit history)

if you dont mind me asking. aboout how much are we talking about to spend on this swap?

400 bucks max. I sold my 65e in less than 24 hrs for the same price I paid for my 80. Guess it pays to pull the trans before it breaks.

So all I have in it are odd and end parts and a shift kit.

Edited by BigCountry (see edit history)