Truck Over Heating Help Please

ces63ss

well I have not driven the truck in just over a month a last night I drove the truck to my moms house about 20 mins. drive 7 miles away. I noticed the coolent hot message came on and the temp was getting hot. I pulled over right before it over headed and shut it off. after about ten minutes I drove the rest of the way home. I checked the water when I got to my moms and noticed none in the catch can. filled it up 3 times and temp went down to 210*. Today I drove the truck again for about 10 minutes and truck went into the safe mode and temp was only at 210* :confused: drove back home and opened the catch can and it was full. I checked the upper hose and it was warm, the clutch fan seemed to be working. I drove the truck later today and it drove fine... wtf can I have a bad clutch fan not cooling the truck down?

thanks guys, cesar

stuck t-stat? the water pump would make some sound.

what kind of noise would the water pump make. After it starting running fine and i drove it around for a while, if I got on it I could hear a weird whinning sound for a split second like a slipping belt, but the belt looked fine.

You said the truck went into REP mode, is the CEL lit on your dash?

no the lights on the dash are all normal, temp gauge reads normal. the other thing that has me puzzled is, what happened to the water? Why out of nowhere did water just evaporate. Im thinking of just replacing the t-stat and flushing the radiator just as a precaution now.

what kind of noise would the water pump make. After it starting running fine and i drove it around for a while, if I got on it I could hear a weird whinning sound for a split second like a slipping belt, but the belt looked fine.

no the lights on the dash are all normal, temp gauge reads normal. the other thing that has me puzzled is, what happened to the water? Why out of nowhere did water just evaporate. Im thinking of just replacing the t-stat and flushing the radiator just as a precaution now.

Usually a bad water pump will have either a metallic whine to it, or you will hear the bearings clicking, especially when cold. Pressure test the system for a leak as well when you have it flushed.....

If you get it up to temp, take the overflow cap off slowly and listen for a little pressure. The pump might also have a small leak if the bearings are shot.

Since you are a 2004 you could pull the T-stat and look and see if it is stuck, or run it with out and you should stop over heating, but I would not run it for long that way.

it sounds to me like it's the water pump. if you heard a whistle, then im willing to bet that's your problem. my 99 s-10 did the same thing. first a whistle, then boiling coolant. but like mr. p. said, your coolant didn't just dissapear. you need to have it pressure tested to see where the coolant is going.

pressure testing is very simple. all that's involved is putting an adapter cap on your surge tank, attaching a valve with a pressure gauge, then adding air (only about 10-15 psi). you should start to see coolant dripping, just follow the trail of coolant and vwalla, you've found your leak. there are less complex pressure kits that have a hand pump. but if you take it to a shop to have it tested, you won't have to worry about anything i just said :banghead:

hand pump pressure testing kit:

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_126...st&sLevel=0

:thumbs:

thanks all for all the replies. I drove the truck today and all seems to be normal. No leaking coolant, temps seemed normal. Drove it for about 30 or so miles.. I picked up a t-stat already so I will replace it. I wonder if it got stuck from just sitting for over a month? I cant see any coolant any were. I will keep my eye on it.

thanks all for all the replies so far, cesar.

i want to weigh in here if i may. you really need to pressure test your system. my thoughts are these. a bad fan clutch will cause engine temps to climb (which you had), and also will cause your surge tank to vent, leaving you low on coolant or empty when your temps go back down (which you had). you can check fan clutch operation easily by putting your hand between the fan and pulleys, it should "push" your hand back toward the engine with air movement.

secondly, in a later post you stated you heard a whining noise for a second like a slipping belt, which could be water pump leakage or coolant otherwise leaking onto the belt somehow...

food for thought, i have replaced my water pump once for leaking out the weep hole on the bottom at about 50k miles, and the fan clutch at 100k for no airflow causing my a/c system to blow warm air and vent freon. almost always a thermostat issue will cause dtcs in the system, whether it be a po128 or otherwise. I replaced my thermostat at 75k for the same code.

dont forget it is also possible that you have two of these components acting up at the same time.

shaun :cheers:

Shawn, funny you mention the warm air out the ac vents. I noticed my ac has not blown really cold air recently. After a drip back from vegas I noticed it wasn't blowing really cold like before. Like you mentioned I might have multiple issues.

Thanks for your input. I will have it checked soon I hate to drive it like this.

Edited by ces63ss (see edit history)