Truck Over Heating Help Please

ces63ss

I was going to say water pump. It made sense. I have seen multiple issues with leaking only when cold and when first started. It can be a small enough leak to evaporate without seeing it. Coolant on the belts would explain the squeal and AC issue and also if the engine temp gets up, the AC shuts down. The good news is it's a piece of cake to replace the pump. Good time to put in a 160 t-stat but you will need programming to prevent the low coolant temp code.

yeah but now I cant unlock the truck due to the dead battery and my key not working thanks to some P.O.S. that broke into the truck about 2 months ago. I just glued the key lock cylinder in place :mad: so to prevent the next ahole from knocking in the key cylinder and unlocking it that way and $$$$ has been very tight. I swear, when it rains it pours. Any ideas on how to unlock it now?

• 5 months later...

Sorry to be digging up old threads, but this exact same thing happened to my truck on this past Monday. My truck started to heat up and I pulled over before the temp redlined. After 5-10 minutes it went from almost 250 back to 208-210. I thought the T-stat was just stuck. I firgured I'll just change it this weekend. But on Wenesday I notice a puddle of coolent under the truck. So I cleaned the truck really well to see where it was coming from. Sure enough on Thursday the puddle was back dripping from the water pump. The best I tell is that the system built pressure from the stuck T-stat and caused the water pump to go bad. I was pretty suprized. There's no engine driven fan to add fatigue to the water pump, the truck has 56k on the odometer, and the pulley has no play. Just a whine. So it looks like I'll be changing a T-stat and water pump next weekend.

Sorry to be digging up old threads, but this exact same thing happened to my truck on this past Monday. My truck started to heat up and I pulled over before the temp redlined. After 5-10 minutes it went from almost 250 back to 208-210. I thought the T-stat was just stuck. I firgured I'll just change it this weekend. But on Wenesday I notice a puddle of coolent under the truck. So I cleaned the truck really well to see where it was coming from. Sure enough on Thursday the puddle was back dripping from the water pump. The best I tell is that the system built pressure from the stuck T-stat and caused the water pump to go bad. I was pretty suprized. There's no engine driven fan to add fatigue to the water pump, the truck has 56k on the odometer, and the pulley has no play. Just a whine. So it looks like I'll be changing a T-stat and water pump next weekend.

I hope that solves your issue goodluck :smash:

Sorry to be digging up old threads...

im glad somebody else did

well today I saw a puddle under the truck after sitting in the drive way for the day, looks like a water pump change :( . I called kragen and they want $190 :confused: . to top it off now I need a battery also, I cant phuqen believe it :mad: :mad:

cold water leak is usually indicative of a water pump failure.

I don't think you have a bad t-stat, just a bad water pump. The overheating issue is most likely because of a bad pump, and the leak you have is a classic sign of a bad pump. You can change the t-stat for piece of mind if you wish. My truck had the WP go at around 20k.....

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)