Brakes After 39k Miles?

NashSS

At my work a co worker was comparing bakes with my truck to his 02 chevy 1500 and was saying mine was bigger and double pistons? He also climbed underneath my truck and was saying that the back side of my rotors are terrible and the brakes are only touching on half the rotor and that they need to be replaced. I was looking up rotors and got priced at 35 bucks a rotor. If I replace the rotors should I replace the pads also? He also said my rears are worse then the fronts but that sounds fishy to me cuz shouldn't most of the braking power come from the front? This will be my first time changing brakes on a fullsize truck any info would be helpful.

I replaced front/ rear pads and rotors at 120,000 kilometers. There was a far amount of rotor rot! It appears to me the that the pads were changed once before, but thats about normal... break job every 60,000... especially for a vehcile that has seen salt! :cheers:

as strange as it seems, the brakes on our trucks last way longer if the truck is driven. i've seen trucks 4-5 yrs old, with 8-100k on original pads n rotors. however i've also seen 4-5yr old trucks with under 10k need pads and rotors replaced front and rear. and the rears usually go first fyi. sounds like its time for a big brake upgrade :thumbs:

Typically if not in salt, they will easily run 100k and longer. Here in NC when I was at the dealer, we would occassionally get one from up north and it was usually the rear rotors that would rot or flake. I would replace the pads if you are going to put rotors on it. Also get a pair of park brake shoes as well. They tend to wear out even if not used.

ok thanks guys. Is 35 bucks a rotor right though? that just sounds really cheap for a fullsize truck. Also our trucks arent dual pistons calipers are they? If I have the money im thinking of some powerslots and some hawk pads for it if the price is right.

ok thanks guys. Is 35 bucks a rotor right though? that just sounds really cheap for a fullsize truck. Also our trucks arent dual pistons calipers are they? If I have the money im thinking of some powerslots and some hawk pads for it if the price is right.

Yes the fronts are dual piston calipers, not sure about the rears on the AWD models though. $35 per rotor? Those are probably cheap Okebono POS bargain rotors....a decent AC Delco replacement rotor should be in the area of $70+.........

Don't remember anyone saying, but if you are going to replace the rotors, ALWAYS replace the pads too. This way they both break in properly. Otherwise your setting the new rotors to the old ones as the pads are already formed by them (if that makes sense).

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to throw this out there, I had to change the pads and have both rear calipers rebuilt 5-6 months ago. On each caliper, one side was operating normally, while on the other side, the pad would not disengage all the way. Ate through the pad almost to he metal. So i had to pay for new pads, turning both rotors, rebuilding both calipers, and flushing the system. Front brakes still had like 80% of material left on them.

This was around 70k miles.