Obdii And Cigarette Lighter

SSplaytoy

I figured out why my computer wouldn't power up...because the cig fuse was blown...and it keeps blowing :banghead: I pulled the bezel and found the plug was a little burnt (maybe from use) but just in case i pulled the console to check the wires. They are fine from the cig lighter all the way through and back into the underside of the dash. I put a fuse in and it blows which means I have a short somewhere, but I dont know why. Is there another relation to these wires somewhere to the obdII? Would the pcm cause this fuse to blow? I doubt it, but I am trying to save myself the hassle of tracing every single wire. Any ideas to why it keeps blowing? Do the wires have to be plugged into the cig lighter? (although it doesnt make sense but just in case)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no coins in the cig lighter. The wires are also disconnected. The + wire to the cig lighter is being grounded out somewhere and I dont know why. I haven't spliced into any of the wires going to the cigarette lighter for anything :confused: The wire goes up under the dash behind the a/c controls and thats as far as I traced it. Anyone know what else that wire connects to or where it goes? I'd rather not pull the whole dash apart tracing one wire.

I put a light tester to the fuse box where the cig lhtr fuse goes to and get power on the one side which is normal. On the other I get nothing, unless I switch the test light to power and test the other side, in which case it lights up indicating I have a ground. Any other clues to whats wrong?

pinched or shaved wire from aftermarket radio install?

nope. all the wires are fine from the lighter into and through the console and back into the dash. I removed the a/c controls and the radio checking, and all is fine. It has to be grounding out somewhere between there and the fuse box, but that specific wire has never been messed with. Thats why i was wondering what else if any it taps into or if it comes directly from the fuse box to the cig lighter/

yeah it has to. if not it wouldn't affect the obdii connection. just not sure where tho. i am positive its not the radio because it was still working after i put the stocker back in. no other wires have been touched since. one day it just stopped working. :confused:

ok just to clarify here, is it blowing the 15a cigar fuse or 20a aux power fuse? (both in underhood bec)

aux fuses are fine just the 15a cig lighter fuse. none of the wires are melted together anywhere either that i have seen so far so i am stumped and f**kn frustrated! :banghead:

is the vehicle parked indoors or outdoors? have you pulled the plastic surround off of underhood bec and checked the wires under there? the make for notorious chafe points and rodent nesting areas.....

it gets parked outdoors. and yes i have pulled the covers off but to check other wires and i was careful too. i lifted the cover from the fuse box and pulled the fuse box up too, pulled the tape off the wire up to the firewall and everything looks fine. it has to be in the dash somewhere but im not sure what that wire taps into and where. so far i haven't found a single melted wire or plug.