Ss Fire Pictures

sleepingcrna

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The circus continues with insurance. They are now passing it on to the total loss claims section that will supposedly get this hammered out with me in the next 2 days. Meanwhile, the truck is in my garage. I would sleep in it but it stinks like smoke and wet carpet. I am in the process of looking at 3 different SS's. Just waiting on insurance to see how far i can go. As i think i said earlier, the engine, drivetrain, wheels, tails and bed cover are pretty much spoken for. As for the rest of it, when i officially get it back (provided they don't rape me on a salvage price), i will begin to part it out. Should be lots of things people can use. I won't screw anyone, but need to recoup what i can to make up for the loss of mods. I'll sell on convenience first, that is, local pickup first, then i'll ship if no local sale. Don't plan to do a lot to a newly purchased SS, but it will be very difficult not to go supercharged. You sure get used to that power in a hurry. Again, thanks for encouragement from everyone. It is just a truck. There WILL be another one...unless i can talk the wife into a Camaro SS. And that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. I'll keep updates on here and start a for sale thread if i get the truck with what is for sale.

Mike that is heart rending. :( But I was expecting much worse, don't get me wrong it's bad but I was expecting the interior to be totally gutted and cab to be warped; the glass/windshield is still in it, so the fire did not get super hot, the interior was not totally gutted by fire.

After speaking with you I am suspecting the wire threaded through the brake lines was recently installed by your stereo shop and improperly routed & fused, if that is true I would CERTAINLY take action to have them replace the truck, they should be bonded/insured for this kind of work.

Nitrous is a non-flammable gas. Whats the adjuster going to argue?

Saying this respectfully - you need to check with your insurance agent, I interviewed a few and was told absolutely no insurance underwriter will cover a vehicle with nitrous installed, even the specialty insurers/policies I looked into. AFA the chemistry goes, nitrous by itself at room temperature/pressure is inert, but pressurized at 900+ psi and in the presence of fire will readily break-down into free oxygen and turn a smoldering fire into an absolutely violent inferno, and if enough fuel load is present (gasoline) will cause an explosion similar to a pipe-bomb. Case in point is any nitrous system where both solenoids freeze open and the engine kicks-back, suddenly *BOOM* you have chunks of intake manifold chasing you down the sidewalk. IMO EVERY nitrous-equipped vehicle should have a halon extinguisher installed. Nitrous systems when correctly installed/maintained are very safe but you still have to respect them.

Mr. P.

RIP to this Silverado SS.

I wish you luck on your new Sss sir. Build her stronger and faster :chevy:

And yes I agree with Mr. P respectfully, out here if you have nitrous you will not be covered by insurance. Go grab the good stuff :ph34r:

• 2 months later...

This is hard to look at. I have a question for you as this is the only SS i know of to do this. Did you ever find the source of the fire?

I was driving my 05 SS the other day and it smelled like burning plastic....I checked every thing like 5 times. I don't see any source of melting etc. The best I could locate the smell was somewhere behind the dash..closer to the fuse area. I had also just started the truck for the first time in about 5 days....and ran the heat....eventually I just shrugged and wondered if it was coming from heating system.

This is hard to look at. I have a question for you as this is the only SS i know of to do this. Did you ever find the source of the fire?

I was driving my 05 SS the other day and it smelled like burning plastic....I checked every thing like 5 times. I don't see any source of melting etc. The best I could locate the smell was somewhere behind the dash..closer to the fuse area. I had also just started the truck for the first time in about 5 days....and ran the heat....eventually I just shrugged and wondered if it was coming from heating system.

Are all your electrical functions working? Check all your fuses and wires you can see under the dash just to make sure. And I could be wrong here, but I think this one caught fire due to a spark or wires touching a brake line by the master cylinder

Edited by SSplaytoy (see edit history)

All electrical functions work. The only new item installed is subs. I ran the power wire through the a new hole in the grommet with the parking brake line....and it looks perfect. I don't know, I was able to zero in the smell around the fuse area after taking the cover off but there was no heat, smoke, and all the fuses (i checked as i got tired of pulling) looked good.

My wife was with me and she smelled it fairly strong after I had already driven about 15 miles...so i have no clue.