Shark Fin Antenna - Upgraded From Old Xm

Hey All ...

As some of you remember I had my roof damaged in a bad storm (Fierce Storm Linky). Since my truck went in for some body work, I figured I'd change out the XM Antenna to a new style "Shark Fin / Dorsal Fin" Antenna. Since my Buddy owns the body shop, he said he would help me out on figuring how to hook up the new antenna.

I didn't know what we were getting into, but since I figured that Chevrolet could not have changed the Antenna hookup that bad, when they changed the body style, I figured what do I have to lose. So after all was said and done ... It truly was a Simple swap out ...

I got the brand new XM/OnStar Antenna on Ebay for only $59.99 Shipped.

Ebay Item # 290340942910 ... Linky

mr.remotes is the vendor's name.

GM Part Number: 25815079

I took a few pics to help you all out ... :thumbs: :thumbs: ... This is not the best pics or write-up, but you all get the Idea.

Old Antenna on truck (I have XM only ... No OnStar), Same antenna on my buddies 2004 Avalanche.

SSS13.jpg

Antenna021.jpg

Old Antenna off of truck, with one BROWN wire with connector.

Antenna014.jpg

Antenna012.jpg

Antenna015.jpg

With the Headliner Pulled down, unplug the one BROWN Wire connector. Remove it from the internal XM Radio wire harness. We had to break the clip.

Antenna007.jpg

Old Antenna Base and New Antenna Base ... along with the Two Holes that you have to line up for install. (They are still blocked by tape, as it has been painted. Close-up pic sucks, sorry.)

Antenna011.jpg

Antenna010.jpg

Antenna008.jpg

New Antenna - With three wires. 1 for XM BROWN, 2 for OnStar Black/Green. You MUST remove the grey clip. It will just break away. It holds all the wires in a specific "Plug and Play" application for a NBS 07+ Truck.

Antenna001.jpg

Antenna013.jpg

Antenna003.jpg

1010Done.jpg

Slide the two connectors together, BROWN on BROWN ... They WILL NOT LOCK, so you must use a little Tape or something to hold them connected. We also taped up the other two antenna connectors, so they would not rattle.

Antenna005.jpg

Install Antenna and bolt into place. Re-install Headliner and Sha-Zam ... You have the new Shark Fin antenna, instead of the old Hockey Puck ...

Antenna017.jpg

Antenna016.jpg

Antenna018.jpg

Antenna019.jpg

Antenna020.jpg

This was a pretty simple install. You just have to take your time and do it right.

Warning # 1 ... The Shark Fin antenna is designed for the Left Side of the Roofline, not the Right. The bottom of the antenna is "Contoured" to that shape (the left side of the base is approximately 1/8” taller on the left side, then the right). That way it appears to stand-up straight. So when it is installed on the right side, it does lean a little bit to the right (Outside).

Warning # 2 ... Once you connect the wires, please test your XM unit/radio for reception. Just make sure it works before you button it up.

Warning # 3 ... One can only “Assume” that if you were to do this on the On Star side, the other two wires should match up in the same way. But as I have stated, you must “Assume”, as I do not have On Star, and have no way of knowing. And, we all know what happens when you Assume … :crackup: :crackup:

Edited by Stitches040 (see edit history)

Looks good-------------- :cheers: --------If I ever get the money, I'm gonna do the complete opposite, and get rid of mine.......I'm growing to hate them more and more every year...... :lol:

Edited by GetWithIt (see edit history)

looks good Shuan!! like I told ya, I think you're gonna get better stability when you make that turn at the end of the 1/4 mile at LVD... :jester:

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup::lol: :lol:

We should play the JAWS theme song when he hits the track Keith!! :cheers:

Edited by Sick03ss (see edit history)