New Cut Out

chpspecial

Well, I finally got pinched for having a modified exhaust, and since I can't just add a muffler to my STS system with out loosing performance I had to come up with a solution. I wanted a solution that worked with out me having to do anything, like hiting a switch or setting anything up. Another draw back to the electric cut outs is the time it takes to open. by the time it opens it would have been to late for me and then I would have to be playing catch up, plus there is no need to add delay to a turbo system. Having the cutout open all the time would just get me into more trouble, so the solution was simple, kind off. I got a boost actuated cut out and modified it to work with vacuum. therefore instead of opening at X psi, it now starts to open at 2inHg vac or 95kps and fully opens at 100kps or ~0 vac. therefore fully permits my turbo to spool-up with out delay. To make it fully work I had to use two check valves, running in opposite directions to allow vacuum to enter the actuator and close off boost from going in. the second check valve vents to atmosphere, so that wen it sees vacuum it closes but when the first one closes, the second one opens to allow the actuator to see atmosphere pressure and therefore open and stay open till the motor sees vacuum again. And for all of you that will say that you can open your ecut out at any time, that is simple too. A 12v solenoid is installed also on a switch. when off it routs vacuum to the actuator, when energized it blocks off vacuum, and vents the actuator to atmosphere once agian therefore having the cutout open, just like and electic one, only this one opens instantly.

Now enough talk here are the results.

btw, this is just at park, with me reving the engine, you can see it open when the motor hits tha above mentioned vac levels and you can see it partly open when the motor only hits ~95 kpa and not 100

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GREAT IDEA - that is BADASS. :thumbs:

I don't understand why you got a ticket though, I thought the STS was a legal catback in CA?

Mr. P.

because its too loud, and it still is. I have to work an fitting a bigger muffler somewhere around the tail pipe area with out loosing my spare tire

Holy crap that's sick.

How much did that set you back?

350 for the cutout, 180 for the exhaust work with the dynomax muffler and what ever you can get corvette exhaust actuator for, unfortunatly they are not easy to come by.