Jack Russel Terrier

SS Silv

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have a ton of energy. It will need a big area to run around or kids to wear them out daily lol. I also remember that they dig or jump high... can't remember which but probably dig b/c they are small haha. Good luck!

edit: yeah they dig... They were bred for going after foxes in their holes.

Edited by SuperSlowSS (see edit history)

They have a ton of energy. It will need a big area to run around or kids to wear them out daily lol. I also remember that they dig or jump high... can't remember which but probably dig b/c they are small haha. Good luck!

edit: yeah they dig... They were bred for going after foxes in their holes.

and jump, lol

we have 2 miniature schnauzers good family dog and full of energy

we were gonna get a jack russel but we just fell in love with the schnauzer

this is blake our male he is full grown weights about 10lbs

100_0800.jpg

100_0242-1.jpg

100_0003.jpg

100_0310.jpg

100_0504.jpg

Edited by McMahan (see edit history)

That's a cool dog McMahan.

I am not totally sold on the Jack Russel yet, and I would consider a miniature shnauzer.

And for anyone else with small dogs, post them up. I need more ideas.

glad i could help you sir. its just a though our dogs are hyper and fun but when its time to go to bed they go to sleep with us.

they are very smart and learn fast we had our potty trained with in a week

plus my parents have raised and breed them when i was young so i am partial to them

here is some info on the breed hope this helped

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_Schnauzer

I rasied JRTs...kept 4 as my pets.

They are fiercely loyal and will defend what they feel is theirs till the bitter end. Most people refer to them as dogs with lots of energy, but the truth is, they're like any other dog.. lazy! they like to lay around and chill just like we do. Where they do shine is when you want to play, they're ready! Just say the magic word (whatever word you train them that 'play' means is the magic word) and they'll jump up and be ready to play!

I had all 4 of mine trained to heel off lead. They'd all line up in order on my left heel and we could walk anywhere around town. When I'd stop, they'd stop and sit. When I'd go, they'd go! Was pretty cool, but it took lots of training on my part. They're very smart and trainable but strong headed, so you need to emphasize that you're the leader of the pack at all times.

Great dogs.. miss mine. :(

Im me if you have any more questions.

Funny.. I also had a Min Schnauzer when I was younger. Also a great breed of dogs!

I think my favorite small dog would have to be a Jack Russel or a Beagle. My Grandparents had a Jack Russel for many many years and it was the most loyal friendly dog I have met. Super with kids adults and other animals. I would highly rec one.

Rob

I had a Jack Russel terrier once, and he drove me nuts. I didn't do my research on the breed and it was a mistake on my part. Luckily the neighbors kids loved him and wanted him, so I found him a good home with someone that was always there playing with him.

Very hyper

Jump way too much

Strong headed

Dig up everything

He was always barking at everything.

He chased everything.

Wishbone! :D

My sister has a JRT since he was a few weeks old, he's now 9-10 years old. Extremely intelligent. Big personality. High energy. LOVES kids, and kids love him too. I have video of my sister's dog leaping into her swimming pool and then getting onto one of the floating chairs or floating mats, and the kids would play tug-of-war with him, one in the pool and the dog on the pool floatie as the kids tug him around the pool lol. Even with him being fixed he is very territorial, very watchful dog. He is also very willful. Does not do well with other dogs. Loves car rides, he will bolt for the door to get into ANY car. He goes completely deaf when a cat, squirrel, or other dog are anywhere nearby, you cannot call him off and there have been a few instances over the decade where my sister had to run him down through the neighborhood because he saw a cat and chased off. When my sister's dog was about 6-7 he bit off more than he could chew and picked a fight with her neighbors St Bernard and was almost killed, that episode pulled a ton of ego out of him and he acted more his size, prior to that he genuinely had Napoleon sydrome, totally fearless and thought he was the biggest dog in the world lol. He is very loyal. A JRT can be a great dog, but you have to really be on point with your Dog Whisperer skills because they need serious rules/boundaries/limitations and lots of exercise.

Mr. P. :)