Pcv Valve Check Valve

joeyg

Hey does anyone w/ any kind of forced induction run a check valve on their PCV? I don't, but the block should be under a slight vacuum via the intake and there's no check ball in the PCV valve.

I had the DS valve cover off today and wondered. maybe there's one built into the intake...brb... nope.

It's only like 1/8" hole but still

• 3 weeks later...

Came in today and put in the PCV valve. It was $12.** w/ tax.

Peace of mind... priceless.

The passenger side valve cover goes to the air filter cleanliness indicator on the air filter assembly with the Blower kit. That sucks cause that used to push oil vapors through the MAF sensor under boost (assuming there was actually enough time to pressurize the crankcase during any WOT runs).

I also drilled 7 1/16" holes through the oil cap until I can get a breather on her. Doesn't that mean I can now cap the passenger side valve cover and tb? Otherwise the air filter ass'y will pull air in through the oil cap(?)... I'm thinkin not good, because that's unfiltered air too... grrr, good old hind-sight. I have a oil cap in the garage, may just mess w/ that one.

Edited by finallyss (see edit history)

I also drilled 7 1/16" holes through the oil cap until I can get a breather on her. Doesn't that mean I can now cap the passenger side valve cover and tb?...

YES you NEED to do this. Get 2 3/8" vacuum caps and cap both the pass VC bung and TB bung. Also get a $10 Spectre small cone-shaped breather from Oreilly's/Autozone, drill/cut a 7/8" hole in your oil fill cap, and epoxy that bad-dog on there. On the oil fill cap breather Dan and I made (mostly Dan!) we also glued in the original PCV valve (on the underside) and packed the PCV valve with some steel wool to keep more oil from escaping via the breather.

Mr. P. :)

PICS please i want to see what everyone is doing b/c i have breathers on both side and i get alot of oil from the passenger side all over the firewall, coils, wires, headers everything..

Describe your PCV plumbing - sounds like you are getting boost air from the intake into the crankcase.

Refer to this thread - http://www.SilveradoSS.com/forums/index.ph...st&p=683341, use the diagram for the vented approach w/ centrifugal blower (diagrams #2-3, or #4) - turbo applications will be plumbed the exact same way.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

ive heard rumors that if that starts to happen means something wrong with you motor possibly rings not saying thats the case but in alot of race engine this happens and the boost gets into the crank case and blows oil out if you cant find an answer after a while try doing a compression test

ive heard rumors that if that starts to happen means something wrong with you motor possibly rings not saying thats the case but in alot of race engine this happens and the boost gets into the crank case and blows oil out if you cant find an answer after a while try doing a compression test

thats funny u should say that b/c the problem continued to get worst with more and more oil until i lost all but 20psi oil pressure and had an oil filter full of metal... so last week i pulled the motor and took it to a local shop for the tear down to determine what is wrong... i hope to know something tommorow... we will see... i expect to have the truck back togther and tuned before new years... im shooting for the 800+ hp/tq

thats funny u should say that b/c the problem continued to get worst with more and more oil until i lost all but 20psi oil pressure and had an oil filter full of metal... so last week i pulled the motor and took it to a local shop for the tear down to determine what is wrong... i hope to know something tommorow... we will see... i expect to have the truck back togther and tuned before new years... im shooting for the 800+ hp/tq

hmmm well i hope the diagnosis is good but it doesnt sound like its going to be sounds like the rings were starting to let boost by and that was the cause of all the oil on your firewall keep us posted on the out come!

hmmm well i hope the diagnosis is good but it doesnt sound like its going to be sounds like the rings were starting to let boost by and that was the cause of all the oil on your firewall keep us posted on the out come!

def will... i know it has je piston, eagle rods, eagle crank, arp everywhere, im not sure whats in the heads but my cam has a 606 lift so it must have new springs, hardened push rods and idk what else... ill have a complete list with part #s and specs once it goes back together...

YES you NEED to do this. Get 2 3/8" vacuum caps and cap both the pass VC bung and TB bung. Also get a $10 Spectre small cone-shaped breather from Oreilly's/Autozone, drill/cut a 7/8" hole in your oil fill cap, and epoxy that bad-dog on there. On the oil fill cap breather Dan and I made (mostly Dan!) we also glued in the original PCV valve (on the underside) and packed the PCV valve with some steel wool to keep more oil from escaping via the breather.

Ok, will do, the TB one was already plugged (with a sparkplug in the hose :withstupid: ). So I don't need a catch can anywhere I'm gathering(?)

Annnnnnnnd/// I don't need to be drawing on the pass VC anymore due to the vented cap and because of the Ford'd PCV?

What sucks is that my blower is in the way for a breather on the oil cap. I'll come up with something soon.

Dude if I can get that Walbro in the tank on an '03, I can get a breather on that oil cap. THAT was a PITA doing that pump swap. I wanted to use the sock that came with the pump kit so... not a quick job. But good news is where I used to go to 40 lbs, I'm now at 100 lbs. more steady AFR of course and the 14 I read is now tunable with enriching. May need to take out the FMU. Yes, still stock inj's

By gluing in the stock PCV... wait didn't you say somewhere you drill a 7/16 hole in the bottom? nvrmnd

Thanks again Mr. P.

Ok, will do, the TB one was already plugged (with a sparkplug in the hose :withstupid: ). So I don't need a catch can anywhere I'm gathering(?)

Incorrect - still install a catch can on the PCV line (driver's side valve cover line)

Annnnnnnnd/// I don't need to be drawing on the pass VC anymore due to the vented cap

Correct.

and because of the Ford'd PCV?

Incorrect - the job of the check valve is to prevent the blower from pushing boosted air into the crankcase from the intake manifold.

What sucks is that my blower is in the way for a breather on the oil cap.

:confused: Then how the hell do you pour new oil into the motor???

May need to take out the FMU. Yes, still stock inj's

Good man for installing the Walbro :thumbs: I am a big fan of the Delphi Marine 44-lb injectors in low-boost applications, along with a vacuum-referenced fuel pressure regulator and fuel return to the tank. I've never before seen how Powerdyne does their fueling setup.

Thanks again Mr. P.

Anytime :cheers:

still need catch can... duh, can't believe that slipped by me :crazy: ok, but sounds like a PITA job, nothing in comparision to the Walbro install.

Yeah, I realize the purpose of the check valve, dude I don't know where I come up with stuff sometimes. :lol:

Oil? I soak the hell out of the air filter and allow blow by to fill the crank case... thank god for boost :jester: . No I can turn it a little counter clockwise and get a funnel in her (that's what she said).

As far as fueling for the Powerdyne... the FMU increases the fuel pressure directly proportional to boost to a max setpoint by the FMU (same as some other brand centrifugal I can't seem to remember). I guess it's supposed to be +2 lbs for each lb boost. I imagine around 70-75 psig max. check this out though... b4 the Walbro the stock would drop to around 40 lbs at 7 psig boost, now with the Walbro... 100 psig! Now ya see why I'm contemplating an FMU delete in the future... not til I gots tha dough for injectors tho. I'll check into those 44's.

I'm gettin there anyways :cheers: