Bed Cracks

my 06 bed rails are cracking in four different places.i have the gaylord speedster cover and its cracking back by the locking brackets.both sides, the right side is starting to go down the side of my bed about six inchs long.anyone having this problem?36,000 miles.

i have never seen or heard of this, but the metal/steel? these trucks are made of are very flimsy and it bends very easy so i wouldnt doubt seeing this happen. sorry your having to deal with it G/L with your problem

i will try to post pictures.it looks like the brackets that lock the cover are not wide enough.and its too much weight.but i am amazed how thin the metal is on the bed rails.gm does not want to cover cause the cover is aftermarket.

i will try to post pictures.it looks like the brackets that lock the cover are not wide enough.and its too much weight.but i am amazed how thin the metal is on the bed rails.gm does not want to cover cause the cover is aftermarket.

That sucks. and GM skimped out even more on the nnbs trucks with the metal. I couldn't imagine a speedstur on those. that lid is heavy!

i have not had any cracking yet with my speedster..except this. :cry:

70+ mph cross wind. it got under the lip of the cover and bent both latches :mad: and scratched the bed a little, but stayed on the truck :thumbs:

:seeya:

DAMN!!!! :eek:

Why don't you take them off, bend them back, wire wheel that rust off, repaint and reinstall them :dunno:

I used to have a Leer shell and it cracked my bed in two places, I welded up the cracks and it did it again - twice! I have since sold my shell and this last time I made two small 1" by 9" pieces of sheetmetal from an old door, bent and formed them to the cracking areas and welded over the problem areas. So I will have to see how this works, once I get a spray in liner, it should help aswell.

Sorry I don't have any cracking pics, but these were the problem areas

DSC00387.jpg

DSC00386.jpg

I used to have a Leer shell and it cracked my bed in two places, I welded up the cracks and it did it again - twice! I have since sold my shell and this last time I made two small 1" by 9" pieces of sheetmetal from an old door, bent and formed them to the cracking areas and welded over the problem areas. So I will have to see how this works, once I get a spray in liner, it should help aswell.

Sorry I don't have any cracking pics, but these were the problem areas

DSC00387.jpg

DSC00386.jpg

very nice. my buddy has an 89 rcsb that he is building and he shaved his bed stake holes. that is something i want to do if i ever need and paintwork back there.