I Got Some Questions

Cmannon

i am a high school kid who is about to go to college. right now i drive a 02 2wd tahoe leveled with 20" KMC Monsters with 33" cooper atz. the appeal for the ss to me was the 6.0L engine. My friend has a nissan titan and i've always wanted to be able to smoke him. I am not looking for a speed demon, just a car with a little zip where if i get on it it will go. i will to towing a 21Ft. ski boat which weighs around 4,000LBS.

Now to the questions:

1. What is better.. the AWD or the 2wd.

2. does the awd function like a 4x4 car would?

3. can you run it on regular fuel, or only premium? some websites have said premium while others say regular.

4. is it better to switch the rear end to 4.10 gearing?

5. what is the best chip/ tune to get for it?

6. best modifications? i was thinking like cold air intake and maybe a fuel throttle spacer(no idea what it does but it supposivly helps?) i am not looking to break the bank.

7. best exhaust.. i was thinking either true dual glasspacks or dual super 44 straight back or out at 45 degree angles.

8. do any come with the standard 1500 ride height. i am not really into the whole lowing kit type of stuff. if they dont come this way would it be possible to put the stock 1500 blocks on the front and back? the finished product for me would be to level it, so that it would have the same lift as a leveled 1500.

9. what is the motor size in cubic inches.

10. do they come with a trailer hitch

11. does the front only come with the captains chairs with the center console? i really wanted a bench with the flip down middle console. if they dont come this way has anybody ever converted the front to a bench?

12. We own a 21Ft Sanger ski boat which i will need to be able to tow. this is why i was wondring about the ride height. would i be able to tow it? what would me gas mpg be?

13. what is the best order to do things... i was thinking the 1500 blocks first, then exhaust, chip, cold air intake, maybe headers... but i dont want to wake the entire neighborhood.

14. on cars.com it said that the 6.0L towing capacity was 10,500Lbs.. is this true or no

15. Does the awd have a high stance then the 2wd?

sorry for all the questions, i am just trying to get all of my questions out at one time.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am a high school kid who is about to go to college. right now i drive a 02 2wd tahoe leveled with 20" KMC Monsters with 33" cooper atz. the appeal for the ss to me was the 6.0L engine. My friend has a nissan titan and i've always wanted to be able to smoke him. I am not looking for a speed demon, just a car with a little zip where if i get on it it will go. i will to towing a 21Ft. ski boat which weighs around 4,000LBS.

Now to the questions:

1. What is better.. the AWD or the 2wd.

2. does the awd function like a 4x4 car would?

3. can you run it on regular fuel, or only premium? some websites have said premium while others say regular.

4. is it better to switch the rear end to 4.10 gearing?

5. what is the best chip/ tune to get for it?

6. best modifications? i was thinking like cold air intake and maybe a fuel throttle spacer(no idea what it does but it supposivly helps?) i am not looking to break the bank.

7. best exhaust.. i was thinking either true dual glasspacks or dual super 44 straight back or out at 45 degree angles.

8. do any come with the standard 1500 ride height. i am not really into the whole lowing kit type of stuff. if they dont come this way would it be possible to put the stock 1500 blocks on the front and back? the finished product for me would be to level it, so that it would have the same lift as a leveled 1500.

9. what is the motor size in cubic inches.

10. do they come with a trailer hitch

11. does the front only come with the captains chairs with the center console? i really wanted a bench with the flip down middle console. if they dont come this way has anybody ever converted the front to a bench?

12. We own a 21Ft Sanger ski boat which i will need to be able to tow. this is why i was wondring about the ride height. would i be able to tow it? what would me gas mpg be?

13. what is the best order to do things... i was thinking the 1500 blocks first, then exhaust, chip, cold air intake, maybe headers... but i dont want to wake the entire neighborhood.

14. on cars.com it said that the 6.0L towing capacity was 10,500Lbs.. is this true or no

15. Does the awd have a high stance then the 2wd?

sorry for all the questions, i am just trying to get all of my questions out at one time.

He kinda has a point, but I will see what I can answer for you in order

AWD IMO, but that is preference. AWD is not the same as 4wd. Premium only. 4:10s come with the awd and 3:73 on 2wd and use depends on what you are gonna do with it. Dyno/street tune is the best or mail order. Do research on cai and exhaust for your price range. Level it with shackles and it is about the same as a reg silvy. Some have a bench, others have consoles. Motor is 364ci. Some have tow packages and others do not. You can tow the boat. Stance is the same stock. Capacity is right. and blocks would lift the truck not lower it.

He kinda has a point, but I will see what I can answer for you in order

AWD IMO, but that is preference. AWD is not the same as 4wd. Premium only. 4:10s come with the awd and 3:73 on 2wd and use depends on what you are gonna do with it. Dyno/street tune is the best or mail order. Do research on cai and exhaust for your price range. Level it with shackles and it is about the same as a reg silvy. Some have a bench, others have consoles. Motor is 364ci. Some have tow packages and others do not. You can tow the boat. Stance is the same stock. Capacity is right. and blocks would lift the truck not lower it.

+1

sorry to sound like a dick but most of ur questions can me answered by reading into the forum alittle more and doing alittle research...

Whoa, easy on the new guy :uhoh: He might not have discovered the search button yet.....

Coolguy21, welcome to the site :cheers:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

I know Dan, but with all the spammers lately, you never know :uhoh:

haha i am sorry to be that typical new guy who doesn't know anything. in response to the blocks i was wanting to raise it not lower it. the reason i said that was because on all of the SS i have seen they seem to have a lower stance. i think on one site they even said that the back was 2 inches lower than a 1500. thanks for all the help, i am sorry that i am "that guy." A one last one.. has anyone used a hypertech tuner, a guy today told me that they were pretty solid.

haha i am sorry to be that typical new guy who doesn't know anything. in response to the blocks i was wanting to raise it not lower it. the reason i said that was because on all of the SS i have seen they seem to have a lower stance. i think on one site they even said that the back was 2 inches lower than a 1500. thanks for all the help, i am sorry that i am "that guy." A one last one.. has anyone used a hypertech tuner, a guy today told me that they were pretty solid.

Forget about that POS programmer!

Get a custom EFI Live tune through Justin from Black Bear Performance.. He is a top notch tuner :cheers:

[/quote

I wouldn't use a hypertech for anything... you can get a custom dyno tune for just alittle more than the cost of the hypertech so don't waste ur money

Sorry for the misjudgment bro.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

The only thing that makes the SS seem lower is it's cladding, with is about 2" lower than stock rockers on a standard silverado. Many have leveled their SS but by lowering it. If you want a more lifted, level stance, then you have to raise the front. With AWD, you could use torsion keys. With 2wd, I would go springs. If you search around you can find a few pics of a few raised SS trucks. As far as the tuning goes, I would go with Wheatley simply because he can tune it as you are driving it and are located relatively close to each other. I wouldn't waste your money on a handheld. If you got into tuning, then I would recommend getting EFIlive and doing it yourself.

Edited by SSplaytoy (see edit history)