My Motor's Trashed... What Should I Do?

turboed ss

So i first posted about 2 months ago about having possibly spun a bearing in my 408 after a total loss of all but 18-20psi oil pressure and having a oil filter full of metal... Well 2weeks ago i finally a chance to get the motor out and dropped my short block off at a local shop.. so first thing this morning a got the phone call i was dreading.... He said "The motor is trashed"... according to him the motor at some point got way to hot... idk how it over heating can cause it to drive fine for 4-5 months then one day just no oil pressure..

buy anyway here's my problem idk what to do know should i punch the block again to 40 over and does je make pistons for it??? what rotating assembly should i us eagle, callies what???

I'm just lost right know and need some help to go in the right direction....

MORE PICS ON PAGE 2

post-19112-1261357530_thumb.jpg

Edited by turboed ss (see edit history)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i first posted about 2 months ago about having possibly spun a bearing in my 408 after a total loss of all but 18-20psi oil pressure and having a oil filter full of metal... Well 2weeks ago i finally a chance to get the motor out and dropped my short block off at a local shop.. so first thing this morning a got the phone call i was dreading.... He said "The motor is trashed"... according to him the motor at some point got way to hot... idk how it over heating can cause it to drive fine for 4-5 months then one day just no oil pressure..

buy anyway here's my problem idk what to do know should i punch the block again to 40 over and does je make pistons for it??? what rotating assembly should i us eagle, callies what???

I'm just lost right know and need some help to go in the right direction....

Did you ever see it overheat? And did he mean the deck was warped or the entire block? :dunno: Something from this story isn't right to me. I can't see an entire block being warped. Was your 408 bored .030 over already? I can see cylinder walls not being perfect and slightly warping, but I think you would have had more problems that just oil pressure from that.

As far as parts go, what are you looking to spend?

Did you ever see it overheat? And did he mean the deck was warped or the entire block? :dunno: Something from this story isn't right to me. I can't see an entire block being warped. Was your 408 bored .030 over already? I can see cylinder walls not being perfect and slightly warping, but I think you would have had more problems that just oil pressure from that.

As far as parts go, what are you looking to spend?

i didn't built the truck i bought it with the new 408 motor and the turbo already done and drove it from chicago to florida with no problems and then drove it for 4-5 month with no problem... never over heated no cooling problems at all...

not warped just ate up because of the metal running throu it... he said he take it to 40 over if i can find JE pistons for 40 over...

yes bored 30 over already..

no other problems just real noisey valve train... i know they make alot of noise but not like this..

i dont have alot of $ but i want it done right

i talked to Texas Speed and they can get me an LSX 427 with callies for $7,000 but i dont want to spend anymore than about $4,000 if possible but i am running a turbnetics 76mm sts

Edited by turboed ss (see edit history)

i didn't built the truck i bought it with the new 408 motor and the turbo already done and drove it from chicago to florida with no problems and then drove it for 4-5 month with no problem... never over heated no cooling problems at all...

not warped just ate up because of the metal running throu it... he said he take it to 40 over if i can find JE pistons for 40 over...

yes bored 30 over already..

I am not 100% positive on this, but if it was a stock lq9 block and bored .030 over, another .040 over wouldn't be possible. I believe max is .060

no other problems just real noisey valve train... i know they make alot of noise but not like this..

i dont have alot of $ but i want it done right

i talked to Texas Speed and they can get me an LSX 427 with callies for $7,000 but i dont want to spend anymore than about $4,000 if possible but i am running a turbnetics 76mm sts

If you want a 427, then I would ditch the sts setup and go n/a. If you wanna keep the setup you have and the block is salvageable, then build it back up since you are strapped for cash.

If you want a 427, then I would ditch the sts setup and go n/a. If you wanna keep the setup you have and the block is salvageable, then build it back up since you are strapped for cash.

i want to keep the boost no matter what i do... i donk care what ci it is thats just one of the options they gave me... i thought it would be cool to say i have a boosted 427... what parts should u use for the rebuild then... i would like to be able to run 15-20psi of boost which should made 800-1000hp to the wheels right

I know Mahle sells 4.040 pistons but they are pricey. You would have to check out the others or when you talk to Texas Speed just ask them and they should be able to tell you

thanks

i want to keep the boost no matter what i do... i donk care what ci it is thats just one of the options they gave me... i thought it would be cool to say i have a boosted 427... what parts should u use for the rebuild then... i would like to be able to run 15-20psi of boost which should made 800-1000hp to the wheels right

The reason I said sell it was to get you some cash if you wanted to go the lsx route. Whether it is a 408 or 427, the STS, even at that boost, will not make that much to the wheels. If you want that much power check out Chase's and Jason's builds. But you are looking at some serious coin there my friend!

Which block are you going to go with though?

The reason I said sell it was to get you some cash if you wanted to go the lsx route. Whether it is a 408 or 427, the STS, even at that boost, will not make that much to the wheels. If you want that much power check out Chase's and Jason's builds. But you are looking at some serious coin there my friend!

Which block are you going to go with though?

idk texas speed was going to give me the lsx block but if i can save mine and just put in a good rotating assembily with some good pistons than i might just do that... but im back to waht parts should i use...

idk y it wont make that much power with this messed up 408 @9lbs i put down 500hp and 550tq with an unfinished tune and only 10 degrees of timing...

idk texas speed was going to give me the lsx block but if i can save mine and just put in a good rotating assembily with some good pistons than i might just do that... but im back to waht parts should i use...

idk y it wont make that much power with this messed up 408 @9lbs i put down 500hp and 550tq with an unfinished tune and only 10 degrees of timing...

You would have to have a damn good tuner, some really good heads, and a nice cam, and a motor built and spec'd to put that out and that is still a good amount of money. As far as parts go, JE does make a set of 4.040 pistons, but they aren't heavy duty and are flat tops. I would go dished to lower the c/r since you are running a turbo setup. Eagle, Manley, and JE all make good parts for the money.

You would have to have a damn good tuner, some really good heads, and a nice cam, and a motor built and spec'd to put that out and that is still a good amount of money. As far as parts go, JE does make a set of 4.040 pistons, but they aren't heavy duty and are flat tops. I would go dished to lower the c/r since you are running a turbo setup. Eagle, Manley, and JE all make good parts for the money.

i have a GREAT TUNER... Tony G is the man... i had cleaned up 317 head... and comp cam w/ a 606 lift... i was running je before with a deep dish.. my compression was down around 8.4 and i think i want to run with about that again

i have a GREAT TUNER... Tony G is the man... i had cleaned up 317 head... and comp cam w/ a 606 lift... i was running je before with a deep dish.. my compression was down around 8.4 and i think i want to run with about that again

You would have to go with a different manufactuer then. JE doesn't have one for that bore size.

I am not 100% positive on this, but if it was a stock lq9 block and bored .030 over, another .040 over wouldn't be possible. I believe max is .060

.060 is only possible if you can see atleast .250" on the thrust side of the cylinder walls after the bore and hone. Very few of the blocks were better than .300" thick with the 4.000" bore.

i would like to see some pics of the "over heated at one time" motor..they could be blowing smoke up your butt...unless #7 cylinder took a burn thru..

good luck

:seeya:

I agree ask to go see it and take pictures.