My Motor's Trashed... What Should I Do?

turboed ss

PICS ON PAGE 2

here a couple of the pics i took of whats left... while i was there we determined that the block, crank, and rods can be saved by taking the block from 4.030 to 4.040 making it with a the stroker a 410 is think... the crank will be turn so ill just need to use .020 over bearings...

What do u guys think of me running the LS2 timing chain, ported and shimmed oil pump from Texas Speed and i'm thinking about sending them my head for a good CNC port and polish, ss valves,and some double bee hive springs...

Whats the deal with diamond pistons? i was planning on running them b/c they offer a pretty much whatever i want in a 4.040 where JE doesn't.

Edited by turboed ss (see edit history)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff i need to call and talk to barry to find out whats going on but if he said the cylinder walls and scared and need to be bored than they need to be bored as far as overheating i really dont know what he means without talking to him myself but if he does the motor it will be rigth take my word.

PICS ON PAGE 2

here a couple of the pics i took of whats left... while i was there we determined that the block, crank, and rods can be saved by taking the block from 4.030 to 4.040 making it with a the stroker a 410 is think... the crank will be turn so ill just need to use .020 over bearings...

What do u guys think of me running the LS2 timing chain, ported and shimmed oil pump from Texas Speed and i'm thinking about sending them my head for a good CNC port and polish, ss valves,and some double bee hive springs...

Whats the deal with diamond pistons? i was planning on running them b/c they offer a pretty much whatever i want in a 4.040 where JE doesn't.

The pics are a bit blurry, but they look pretty fukt up imo. I guess they didn't score up the cylinder walls that bad if they are only taking another .010 off. Upgrading the oil pump and timing chain is def a good idea. As far as the heads are concerned, if there is a reputable shop around you, you could take them there for a PP job. And I personally don't know from experience, but from what I have read over on ls1tech, a few people have had problems running the sodium filled valves because they bend easier and have had the double springs give them trouble too. But that is due to the cam they are running. IDK about the Diamond piston failures either, but if you are looking for a 4.040 other than the JE, Mahle makes forged sets.

The pics are a bit blurry, but they look pretty fukt up imo. I guess they didn't score up the cylinder walls that bad if they are only taking another .010 off. Upgrading the oil pump and timing chain is def a good idea. As far as the heads are concerned, if there is a reputable shop around you, you could take them there for a PP job. And I personally don't know from experience, but from what I have read over on ls1tech, a few people have had problems running the sodium filled valves because they bend easier and have had the double springs give them trouble too. But that is due to the cam they are running. IDK about the Diamond piston failures either, but if you are looking for a 4.040 other than the JE, Mahle makes forged sets.

some many mis understood people on the internet. You are learning from one of the worst forums on the planet... Everyone on tech is a expert LMAO.

its called buying cheap foreign parts... not setting the heads up correctly... and everyone thinks they dont have to measure push rod length

Edited by sprayed99 (see edit history)

PICS ON PAGE 2

see if they can sonar the block.. If they can turn it an additional .030 and have more than .250 on the thrust side you can do a 4.060 piston. If the crank needs to be turned I think .010 is enough the damage doesn't look bad at all... but again you cant judge everything by a picture. If the block did in fact get way hot I would line hone it also. Use a melling high volume/high pressure pump.... a few bucks more and a hell of a lot better pump. Who makes a dual beehive? LS2 chain is fine but if you line hone it you will need a new timing set for the material taken off. If you are boosting it I would look into a better set of heads with a beefier deck.

some many mis understood people on the internet. You are learning from one of the worst forums on the planet... Everyone on tech is a expert LMAO.

its called buying cheap foreign parts... not setting the heads up correctly... and everyone thinks they dont have to measure push rod length

I can agree partially with you there, but I don't believe the first thing I read. I'll research the subject out of my curiousness.

you want to do real research from people that do induction work... and I don't mean TSP. go to hardcorels1.com

I have always done heavy duty diesels and some hi-performance stuff with those motors. I still have a ways to go with these ls motors.

if you are gonna be under 1khp why cant you use GM connecting rods?? If I stroked out the Lq9 I was thinking about re-using the stock rods. sorry for being a little off topic.

Because his rods are fine...and not many piston manufactures build pistons for the 6.098 rods.