Oil Leak, Where To Start?

My brother and I finally got around to changing my front diff fluid today. Everything went good, happy to report no shavings or chunks in the drain pan, and just a few shavings on the drain cap/magnet.

However, upon going under the truck we noticed there is an oil leak somewhere. The diff had some oil stains on it, as well as the lines up above. I changed the oil maybe 2000 miles ago, I checked the levels and it is full, oil pressure is fine, oil color is fine. Been running Mobil 1 since I bought the truck at 37,000 miles. It is an '03, now has 84,000. It was dark out so all we had was a mobile shop light or whatever it is called, Oso we couldn't really see everything, but I wanted to ask you guys your thoughts on where I should start looking.

I pride my truck in being a fine running vehicle and don't want it to deteriorate even with age and miles, so finding out I had a leak was disconcerting at best.

My brother, who isn't an ASE mechanic but probably could be if he wanted, thinks it may be the oil cooling line(s)? So we'll check that out when we get some daylight.

Thanks guys.

Edited by Super Silverado (see edit history)

I think there has been a problem with the gasket for the cooler lines going to the side of the engine. I notice a slight residue around mine once and awhile...but not sure if its it yet. I dont get to drive my truck enough to let it leak enough to find out. Best thing you can do, is get a couple cans of brake clean, spray the sh*t out of of everything and get it cleaned up. Run it for a day or so then recheck.

The factory oil cooling lines are notorious for leaking, mine have been 'weeping' a little as well.

Mr. P.

Mine have already been replaced......the fittings where the oil cooler lines change to rubber when they cross under the motor tend to leak, mine were bad enough to leave drips on my driveway. In seriousness, it could be anything, check when you have more time/light and report back.......

Mine have already been replaced......the fittings where the oil cooler lines change to rubber when they cross under the motor tend to leak, mine were bad enough to leave drips on my driveway. In seriousness, it could be anything, check when you have more time/light and report back.......

If it happens to be the oil lines, whats the fix? Whole new lines? Or just fittings? I don't really know what all this stuff quite looks like in detail, I'll let my brother read thisa threa, he is the mechanically inclined one. :lol:

...Best thing you can do, is get a couple cans of brake clean, spray the sh*t out of of everything and get it cleaned up. Run it for a day or so then recheck.

:withstupid:

original questing..."where do i start?"

clean off all oil and run engine, then watch for leaks. you may need to drive it a few miles, but its the easiest way to find the origin of the leak.

Edited by WODY™ (see edit history)

If it happens to be the oil lines, whats the fix? Whole new lines? Or just fittings? I don't really know what all this stuff quite looks like in detail, I'll let my brother read thisa threa, he is the mechanically inclined one. :lol:

You will need to replace them....also make sure to replace the gasket where the oil cooler lines bolt up to the oil pan......

You will need to replace them....also make sure to replace the gasket where the oil cooler lines bolt up to the oil pan......

Did you replace them yourself?

I space is tight in there, don't know how much work and difficulty is involved in this.

Did you replace them yourself?

I space is tight in there, don't know how much work and difficulty is involved in this.

Yes I did, they arent that hard to do, just a bit time consuming....did them at the same time as an oil change, I can get the procedure off AllData for you if you wish.....Be sure that is where the leak is coming from before drawing conclusions....