Lt Headers

slammedbowtie

ok i have been reading about headers on here forever! i think i have decided to go with the dynatechs. due to consensus of a great fit, quality, and overall product. does anyone have anything negative to say about them or a header that they would strongly recommend over these? i am only purchasing the headers and having my exhaust guy do the mid pipes. Does anyone know of a good ceramic coater in the NJ area? Also any recommendations on locking bolts or plug wires? thanks/

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i have been reading about headers on here forever! i think i have decided to go with the dynatechs. due to consensus of a great fit, quality, and overall product. does anyone have anything negative to say about them or a header that they would strongly recommend over these? i am only purchasing the headers and having my exhaust guy do the mid pipes. Does anyone know of a good ceramic coater in the NJ area? Also any recommendations on locking bolts or plug wires? thanks/

ummm try the whimmpy 2.5" collectors. Also the 1 3/4 primaries are a bit small.

Edited by sprayed99 (see edit history)

thats a good point...my whole exhaust is dual 3" so that would defeat the purpose going with 2.5 collector. the american racing i was looking at and talkin to steve about. but they are for 07+. on the other hand im pretty much stock so i dont really see a need for 1 7/8. just hate to expand the pipe from the collector to the cats. all 3" would be easier and prob make more sense.

ok i just got off the phone with the guy from american racing. they make headers for the 03ss 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 both with 3" collectors. he guarantees they are the best you can buy hands down. (dont they all) but the guy was very helpful and we worked out a price. he recommended east coast supercharging as the dealer. also i was surprised to hear..he says no coating. he said unless its being shown. dont bother. he said they never had a problem with engine temps related to the headers. they actually make the headers for some big name engine builders. so american racing may be the way i go.

Edited by slammedbowtie (see edit history)

as for "locking" bolts. I uses my stock bolts, 2 lock washers per bolt and they havent come loose or leak in the 35000 miles i have on them... cheep and easy, just buy lock washers and torque to spec. plug wires... you will get different opinions, but i use the MSD without any problems at all, but others have had issues. then again, i am a lil partial to RED! :)

Coat them, you live in the Northeast, road salt plays hell with everything....You'll be sorry if you don't coat them, trust me. As for plug wires, go with Taylor 409s, they have a short plug boot which work great around LTs......

...ok i just got off the phone with the guy from american racing. they make headers for the 03ss 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 both with 3" collectors. he guarantees they are the best you can buy hands down. (dont they all) but the guy was very helpful and we worked out a price. he recommended east coast supercharging as the dealer. also i was surprised to hear..he says no coating. he said unless its being shown. dont bother. he said they never had a problem with engine temps related to the headers. they actually make the headers for some big name engine builders. so american racing may be the way i go.

I promise you, after seeing every brand of header available for the truck, ARH are THE best, by a LONG margin. You don't need to coat them, and they do run very cool. Use stock bolts, they don't back out. I used the MSD wires, they work great. Whether you go the 1-3/4" or 1-7/8" primaries definitely get 3" collectors; I would not look at any header with a 2.5" collector even on a stock application. 1-7/8" primaries are pretty big, you do have to retune for them definitely but if you have FI they are what you want. These are not cheap headers, but they are not much more than the other brands on the market and are far and away the best in fit & finish, and the collectors are awesome. Can't say enough about the product.

Mr. P. :)

ok i am going with the ARH should i go with 1 7/8 or 1 3/4 there is a 50 dollar dif. i think ill just get the 1 7/8. and prob the taylor wires. should i get stock gaskets? he says there graphite or carbon or whatever are the best you can buy?

I love the 1-7/8", they work great even for NA with a converter; reuse the factory gaskets, they are the best you can get. See if ARH will knock off $15 the price if they don't include their POS gaskets. :thumbs:

Mr. P. :)

ok i am going with the ARH should i go with 1 7/8 or 1 3/4 there is a 50 dollar dif. i think ill just get the 1 7/8. and prob the taylor wires. should i get stock gaskets? he says there graphite or carbon or whatever are the best you can buy?

Stock gaskets and 1-3/4" are great but also 1-7/8" are large pimaries but are great if you plan on more cubes... Tough call... :chevy:

last question! my whole exhaust is welded. my exhaust guy says he will just weld the pipe between the cats and the headers. is that a good idea? will something crack from the flex from the torque of the motor? and thank you all for your help, much appreciated. dan ill pm you for some part numbers lol