Ignition Key

Berry

I found a thread from 2004 when I searched for it. What happened is the part of the key that's used to attach it to a key ring snapped. Sad thing is, both the keys I've got have done the same thing. Was going to go and get one made up, but my wife told me that we where at a dealer, and they told her that they're chipped and will cost us $50. Can I just go to WalMart and get one made up, or do I have to go to a dealer?

As far as I know they are not chipped my 2003 has an extra complete metal key that was made at a hardware store and it starts and drives the truck, although I don't use it often.

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

hi, i have a 2004 silverado, and the same thing happened to me. my key was broke, and it still stayed on the key chain. anyways i lost the key at the strip club. had to have my mom bring me my spare key. i had a new one made at walmart for less then a dollar

That made my night, lol! I give props to for making that call, and for your mom!

Anyway, I don't think many if any of the GM truck/SUV's, at least the Chevy/GMC models are chipped. By how many times I've had key fobs get destroyed by water and such, good thing there is no chips. I know my '04 Chevy SSS isn't or our '06 GMC Envoy.