Need To Replace Abs Module

superslowss

Like the title says I need to replace my ABS control module. I was wondering if I could do it at home or is it something that the dealer or a shop needs to do? Also where is exactly is it located and if I can do it myself will I need any special tools?

Thanks in advance! :chevy:

The ABS module is located in the frame rail on the drivers side of your truck about middle way of the driver front door. It has about 5 brake lines going in the front of it and has 2 bolts or so holding it on the frame with a bracket. You can change it yourself but you will need help bleeding your brakes and it can be a PITA to get all the air out of the system.

Any scan tool whether it is a Snap-On Modus or Solus, Mac Mentor Pro, or a MasterTech should be able to bleed the ABS system as long as they have the proper protocals loaded, but if you can get your hands on a GM Tech II, go for it......it will be difficult to bleed the system properly without one of these......

Thanks for all of the input guys. Although why is the Tech II required to bleed the brakes? Can I not just do it the old fashioned way, one by one... ?

Thanks again!

If you are just changing the module it's self it can be removed buy it's self by removing the torx screws at the top. just use a short torx bit and a 1/4 inch wrench to turn the bit to brake the screws loose and lift the module up and off the abs trac unit.

if all your changing is the actual module, then it doesnt require the brakes to be bled. that ABS unit is 2 pieces, the BPMV, and the control module. the BPMV is the part with all the brake lines going into it, the module bolts to it and can be changed seperately, however, it will need to be programed at the dealer after replacement.

if all your changing is the actual module, then it doesnt require the brakes to be bled. that ABS unit is 2 pieces, the BPMV, and the control module. the BPMV is the part with all the brake lines going into it, the module bolts to it and can be changed seperately, however, it will need to be programed at the dealer after replacement.

Ah ok that helps a lot. The abs module is the thing that usually goes out causing a low speed 'rumble' in the pedal correct? The BPMV should be fine though?

Also regarding the shudder in the pedal, I have ruled out the speed sensors so my next logical route was to be the module itself.

Edit: how much would the dealers usually charge to program the new module?

Thanks!

Edited by SuperSlowSS (see edit history)

if you have low speed abs activation, then the module and bpmv are working fine. the problem is you're loosing wheel speed signal from somewhere. ususally its one, or both, of the front wheel speed sensors. its very rare to see an abs module fail, when they do, they usually set a code indicating an internal problem, or go completely dead, setting u1000 codes in other modules. we had problems with corrosion at g110, located on the drivers side front body mount just behind the LF tire. inspect that ground for corrosion and make sure its tight.

I had both of my wheel bearing replaced a few thousand miles ago with new speed sensors and the problem was still there. What else could be causing it besides the front sensors or the module itself? Are there speed sensors on the rear wheels?

I'm going to go out and check the connections for corrosion before this nice "arctic blast" moves in..

Ah ok that helps a lot. The abs module is the thing that usually goes out causing a low speed 'rumble' in the pedal correct? The BPMV should be fine though?

Also regarding the shudder in the pedal, I have ruled out the speed sensors so my next logical route was to be the module itself.

Edit: how much would the dealers usually charge to program the new module?

Thanks!

Chances are it is not an issue with the module. Like it was already stated generally if the module fails it is a hard failure and would not cause an ABS activation. My bet is a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors. What kind of hubs did you put in? We have had alot of problems with aftermarket hubs where we have put 2 or 3 in in a matter of months. You really need to get a scan tool on it. Check harnesses/connections. The simplest thing can bite you in the a$$. It would suck to put an expensive module in it and still have a problem.

time to put a scanner on it and see witch wheel speed sensor signal is dropping out.

:withstupid:

I had both of my wheel bearing replaced a few thousand miles ago with new speed sensors and the problem was still there. What else could be causing it besides the front sensors or the module itself? Are there speed sensors on the rear wheels?

I'm going to go out and check the connections for corrosion before this nice "arctic blast" moves in..

Yes there are speed sensors in the rear as well.......if the module was bad, like Ben said you would have several ABS codes thrown, along with the BRAKE, ABS, and CEL illuminated like a Christmas Tree........

Yes there are speed sensors in the rear as well.......if the module was bad, like Ben said you would have several ABS codes thrown, along with the BRAKE, ABS, and CEL illuminated like a Christmas Tree........

Are they in the same spot as the ones on the front end?

• 3 years later...